Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you......

Old 09-19-2010, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default How do you......

hunt thick grown up clear cuts???? I got 2 places like this that have all kinds of big thick briars that will just about cut you in half. Even if you were to cut a small path through it and hunt from a tree stand they'd have to be almost right under you before you saw it. So what do you guys do??? Or what kind of ideas do you have??? Thanks, Scott Woody
Old 09-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Spike

im n the same boat as u, ive got a 15 acre 3-4 yr clear cut that the under brush is about 4 ft high w/briars and sm sapplings growing amoung the stand of 4-6 ft pines. There are rolling hills and tons of deer signs. There are no trees on it large enough to hang a stand, im gonna build a box stand on it if I can get to the middle hill. From there I can see the entire section. Yesterday, I rode my 4 wheeler down though it and made a pretty good lane and possibly large enough to get the box stand over to that hill. Dont know if this anwers your ??? but this was the only way I could think of to make a road or a shooting lane so I can hunt this pc of my property.

Last edited by Bfree; 09-19-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Spike

tripod stand will work...If anything...use a 4-wheeler or tracter and clear a lane in the clear-cut...and plant some clover or any type of food and put a tripod in the woods over looking it.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by deerslayer706
tripod stand will work...If anything...use a 4-wheeler or tracter and clear a lane in the clear-cut...and plant some clover or any type of food and put a tripod in the woods over looking it.

X2 - Since it's really close to bow season or may have even started already in your area, try something low impact. I used my Jeep Cherokee to beat down a shooting lane on similar spot I have. Maybe some Round Up will help get some of the vegetation off the trees and shrubs. Bush-hogging and tilling the soil this late may spook the deer out of the area for the next couple of weeks.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would save all the driving through there fer next spring...
just "still hunt" this year...
start at the front of the property, just walk in instead of drive...only take a step at a time...a few minutes between steps, real quiet like.
after the 1st mile, it should be about 5-6 pm
Old 09-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Banned

That area son, is called a sanctuary and should never be hunted..

The purpose of a sanctuary is to give the deer someplace where they can hide and where they can go when the weather gets bad.

When you disturb the sanctuary area, there are times where the deer will not use it anymore or will not use it the way that you have become accustomed to seeing them use that area.

Your best bet is to hang a deer stand 30 yards from one of the ingress / egress points and sit and wait. Sooner or later they will come out of there. If your property is not posted, wait until rifle season and let the other hunters push the deer out of there and to you.

Where I come from, you can only shoot one buck per a year, so one shot is all you need to fill your tag.

One real problem with hunting inside of a sanctuary area is the fact that you could sit in your tree stand all day and not see anything - yet the deer might only be 60 yards away.

As soon as you get the bright idea to leave your stand and go get some lunch or get warm or take a nap at camp or what ever silly things that hunters do that don't hunt the entire day. Usually as soon as you go to leave your tree stand, that is when you will see the deer - either coming towards you or going away from you.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Spike

Hunt the edges of it not the middle of it. You're likely going to run the deer out of a safe haven by trying to hunt in it.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
That area son, is called a sanctuary and should never be hunted..

Hunt where ever you want to. Sure, if everyone here had a couple hundred acres they owned it would be nice to make a sanctuary right smack in the middle of it.

If it was ME.... I would hold off and hunt it during the rut. They will be cruising that since it will be a bedding area for does.

Do want you want. I would just hunt it right. You have a jewel here and probably don't even know it.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

These are great places to hunt when weather is nasty. Rain and wind are your friends. Go slower than you think you should. I've done this, and had deer stand up in front of me looking the other way because they smell me, but can't pinpoint where the scent is coming from.

Other than that, find a good stand on an edge. Deer will come in and out of such areas regularly. Bucks will cruise the downwind side of thick areas during the rut. Put your stand in a location where you can intercept them, but also where they will not smell you. You may have to be off the edge 50-75 yds.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Spike

I hunt a 1000 acre farm with all sorts of clear cuts and cut overs. The first few years they were open and our buck sizes weren't that great. They grew through to 6 feet tall and we would catch the deer on the trails or crossing the uncut hollows. Last year the CCs are up now 10+ feet and thick. Still not hunting in the CCs on the edges. And the bucks last year were significantly larger, even seeing a grandpa hog. So, if it is possible hunt the paths, the uncut drains, don't mess with the bedding areas and protection zone. they will out run you in a blink of an eye. But the patience will pay off with much larger bucks as in our case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.