Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Grunt calling?

Old 09-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
Where do you get some of the information you post??

To the original poster, I have grunted in deer (bucks and does) on opening day. Depending on the stage of the rut determines how agressive I get. I agree with stabinslab that the pre-rut starts when the bucks shed their velvet. I've also grunted a buck in from over 150 yards away during the first week of December.

I use my calling like this. The first couple weeks of season I only use short contact grunts on deer that I see that I want to try to get to shooting range. Getting into rut I will start "blind" calling. Just throwing out some tending grunts to try to get a deer to come into range that may be out cruising for a doe. I will also throw some doe bleats in there. In late season I have found doe bleats to be the best. Bucks are looking for yearling does that are coming in for the first time and for does that didn't get bred in the first rut.
I agree, I used a fawn bleat trying to get a doe in range and one of the biggest bucks I have missed came crashing in looking hard for that fawn. Never knew he was around because I was focused on that doe. I was so nervous I shot under him not knowing the yardage.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:07 AM
Spike

You need to try to emulate the stage of rut. During pre-rut for example, bucks are cruising and setting dominance so light calls (light grunts and small bleat can) and light rattling will work usually. Rattling will range from light rattling like young bucks or heavy rattling to simulate full on fighting. This is coupled with a good grunt call that allows you to control the volume of grunts.

Does can be brought in using fawn bleat or small can.

Stage of rut can be observed by monitoring scrapes...frequency and quantity of scrapes. Watch the does to see how they are acting.
I have had alot of success rattling and grunting in combo to bring in bucks. Do not rattle if you see a buck unless he is far off and you want to get his attention. I would start with grunting.

Your grunts should be erratic of sorts. Try to find a sequence that works. Use your hand to manipulate the sound. If bucks are chasing and getting close to rutting...use tending grunts to full on roar as an example.

As far as walking and hunting on ground, a grunt can be a good tool to simulate another buck in area. Killed a nice mature buck walking in deep ditch grunting every so often. Move slow though and keep your eyes and ears open.

I say the more you spend in the woods watching the signs of deer will allow to call better. Knowing what the deer are doing will improve your skills.

Practice calling and rattling. Use variance.

Don't over do it by calling and rattling all the time. Be patient. Wait and see. I like to wait at least 30 mins between sequences. Make it count and have confidence with what you are doing.

Don't be discouraged. I sometimes will practice my calling skills by using different methods on young bucks. I once called in the same buck three times using different methods but you see what will work and grow confidence. It is not about killing all the time.

If you around alot of deer activity especially around alot of does...keep quiet. They will usually do the work for you naturally. I have ruined my share of hunts by calling when I didn't have to.

Good luck
Old 09-27-2010, 02:20 AM
Spike

You need to try to emulate the stage of rut. During pre-rut for example, bucks are cruising and setting dominance so light calls (light grunts and small bleat can) and light rattling will work usually. Rattling will range from light rattling like young bucks or heavy rattling to simulate full on fighting. This is coupled with a good grunt call that allows you to control the volume of grunts.

Does can be brought in using fawn bleat or small can.

Stage of rut can be observed by monitoring scrapes...frequency and quantity of scrapes. Watch the does to see how they are acting.
I have had alot of success rattling and grunting in combo to bring in bucks. Do not rattle if you see a buck unless he is far off and you want to get his attention. I would start with grunting.

Your grunts should be erratic of sorts. Try to find a sequence that works. Use your hand to manipulate the sound. If bucks are chasing and getting close to rutting...use tending grunts to full on roar as an example.

As far as walking and hunting on ground, a grunt can be a good tool to simulate another buck in area. Killed a nice mature buck walking in deep ditch grunting every so often. Move slow though and keep your eyes and ears open.

I say the more you spend in the woods watching the signs of deer will allow to call better. Knowing what the deer are doing will improve your skills.

Practice calling and rattling. Use variance.

Don't over do it by calling and rattling all the time. Be patient. Wait and see. I like to wait at least 30 mins between sequences. Make it count and have confidence with what you are doing.

Don't be discouraged. I sometimes will practice my calling skills by using different methods on young bucks. I once called in the same buck three times using different methods but you see what will work and grow confidence. It is not about killing all the time.

If you around alot of deer activity especially around alot of does...keep quiet. They will usually do the work for you naturally. I have ruined my share of hunts by calling when I didn't have to.

Good luck