Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what are good sabot slugs

Old 09-20-2010, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Marlin 512 Slugmaster will only shoot slugs in the 1350 - 1650 fps range. Fine with me, as they tend to be a little cheaper than the newer faster slugs. I'm shooting Brenneke 2.75" 1 oz KO Sabot right now.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Personally, I like Winchester's partition gold's (2 3/4") but I have also had some good groups out of the federals as well. Come to think of it--everything I have used from federal has grouped or patterned better than anything else on the market. (The exception is with their American Eagle line of rifle and handgun cartridges. Not bad to use if you're sighting something in for the first time and want to use something cheap to get an idea of where you're shooting, but I wouldn't call them anywhere close to consistent.) Anyway, it's been said here and you will hear it again: "good ammo" for a slug gun will vary from gun to gun. My shot gun did better with cheap Winchester Super-x than they did with the ultra-expensive Supreme Elites. It just takes some time, money, and a sore shoulder to figure out what your gun likes to eat.

Last edited by BillBrasky; 09-20-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

I used to really like Lightfield Sabot Slugs (expensive), they were 1 1/4 oz and at 100 you could either touch holes or shoot through the same one. However, my dad uses cheap federal slugs (not sabots) that shot the same way out of his 11-87. So, maybe it depends on the gun?..
Old 09-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Spike

Whatever slugs shoot well out of your gun. Win. Partitions shoot the best out of my Browning, but BRI's shoot second best and are cheaper so that's what I use. Accuracy would be adequate out to 100 yds with them, probably more.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Spike

i get great groups at a hundred yards with lightfields
Old 09-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

I use Hornaday or Lightfields in my 12 ga....but I think it really depends what shoots well out of your gun.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure others have said it but it depends on the gun. I have a Marlin 512 Slugmaster that I bought used and was very frustrated with. I tried about 5 or 6 different slugs and they were all grouping badly at 50 yards. I really, really wanted to be able to use Lightfields but they were horrible in that gun. Then, I finally tried the Remington Premier Accutip 2 3/4" slugs and they were PERFECT. 1.5" groups at 100 yards. Shot a buck last year with one and he literally dropped in his tracks and didn't move again. Man that is a good feeling!

BTW, this is hearsay but I have read more than once that the Hornady SSTs shoot well but perform badly in the field. FWIW you might want to do some digging on that.