Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent controll ( no shower)

Old 09-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
dude.. that is scent control
I'll repeat what I said because you apparently didn't catch it...it's better than any scent control that you can buy.

If you're buying the wind in your face you're probably getting ripped off.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by kswild
I can tell ya'll this, today I went to my ground blind around 4:30 pm. It was almost 90 today so I had a t-shirt on..boots that came out of my bedroom. With-in 45 minutes of getting in my blind I had 3 deer at 10 yrds. The wind was blowing 20 to 30 miles an hour. Right at them from my back they never smelled me. Even being up wind and only 10 yards away.... Whats even better is I got it on vid...So much for scent control. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWTfqYst_5E
Live it up! Doug

I think that's more than enough adequate proof for me.

Thanks for posting this!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default scent

I'm not going to knock or recommend any product to control your scent. A few years back I bought a bottle of scent away and still have it, just forgot to use it.

My buddies & I hunt weekends, a week, and some times 2 weeks at a time. One of our camps is on the bank of a river and we bathe in it. I'm not a fanatic about bathing, but I'm going to bathe every day even if I have to heat some water in a pan. We sit around the campfires, and most of the time I'm the cook. If on a long and hot hunt/camp (archery season normally), and my clothes are soaked with sweat, I'll usually wash them in the river and hang up somewhere in the camp and wear a clean set the next day. When we get up in the mornings we normally get the camp fire stoaked up and have our coffee and breakfast.

My point is, I don't worry about the smell, heck I even take a thermos of coffee to my stand and drink it while in the stand. I have occassionally used fox, raccoon, or skunk urine on my boots but rarely.

My main concern is and saying, "It's all in the wind."

dog1
Old 09-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Spike

When i go into a camp with no running water i will take some no scent baby wipes,my clothes hang on the porch .I use no cover scent sometimes i'll put some doe in heat on my clothes around rut time.I try to use the wind.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

The answer to Scent Control is "Wind Control"
Old 09-28-2010, 07:54 AM
Spike

The terms scent free, scent lok, etc. are money makers, nothing else. Wash your clothes in scent free, non uv brightener soap, keep them in plastic bags, make sure you don't have cologne or smelly deodorant on yourself, use commons sense and you'll be fine.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

You want the ULTIMATE, almost free scent control????

Floss your damn teeth! You breath and emit odor CONSTANTLY. I bet less than 25% of you floss your teeth (but will likely but scent sprays....).

And try to hunt the wind, of course. If I can smell dirty "meat eating" breath on people, I can assure you that deer can!
Old 09-29-2010, 03:08 AM
Spike

as said...scent control is playing the wind.
You can try to minimize your scent by washing yourself..that's not a bad plan.
But you can spray all the sprays, bars, pouches, candles..whatever..the deers nose is sensitive enough where it will be able to then smell all the different smells individually...they know you stink, they know you tried to cover it up...
I guess it's about the same as when your wife drags you into the bath and body shops at the mall...your nose gets hit with all kindsa stuff you don't know quite what it is...but it stinks and you want away ASAP...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Spike

My hunting partners think I'm nuts because even when its crazy cold at camp I hang my outer jacket and pants from a tree branch overnight. We do not have running water so scent control is iffy at best. I don't use any of the special toothpastes, laundry detergents, deodorants, etc... I do intentionally stand by the campfire in my hunting clothes. I would sure rather smell like campfire in the woods then body odor, pets, or some other unnatural or chemical smell. The only product I have used in recent years is doe urine (not doe in heat) on my boots, and that is only sometimes. Using this as my only scent protection has allowed me to have face to face encounters hunting from the ground outside of any blinds or tents. In my opinion, controlling your movements and noise is way more important than scent, although I guess you could say that I am using the very inexpensive campfire scent .