Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

acorns

Old 09-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default acorns

Went out today and took a look around the woods I am hunting and was amazed at the amount of acorns on the ground,some places in the dry creek bed I was ankle deep in acorns.I seen a lot of doe tracks and a few small buck tracks.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

Not to be a "Smart Ass" but how do you tell a Buck track from a Doe track, Thanks, Doc
Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

This is a doe track atleast in my area.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

This is a buck track.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Spike

No... I believe in the bottom pic, it just illustrates that the track was made in softer soil. All deer's hooves do that so their weight is evenly distributed. It makes them have better traction in soft footing. You can't really tell sex from a track... You may be able to tell an approximate size of the deer by measuring the track... but not the sex.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

I disagree,I have seen deer in fields same soil type same moisture level and different tracks was left by the doe and the buck,I have seen this on numerous occasions.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

I dont know how it is in randolph county but here in fulton and peoria counties its not uncommon to hunt trails that are cut like cattle paths and you can tell a buck from a doe,find you a field with a buck and a few does in it on a muddy day and go over and look at the tracks you will see the difference.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Spike

I'm sorry, but if you research this at all you will find that both bucks and does can leave splayed tracks with dewclaw markings. Doesn't matter what county it is. Size and direction the deer is moving are about the only things you can determine from tracks. For the love of God I wish someone else would chime in. I'm sure this has been argued over and over again on these forums.

*edit*
I will concede that you may be able to tell sex based on where a back hoof falls in relation to a front hoof as the deer was walking. However, splayed tracks mean nothing with regard to sex.

Last edited by Gladius87; 09-17-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: *addendum*
Old 09-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gladius87
I'm sorry, but if you research this at all you will find that both bucks and does can leave splayed tracks with dewclaw markings. Doesn't matter what county it is. Size and direction the deer is moving are about the only things you can determine from tracks. For the love of God I wish someone else would chime in. I'm sure this has been argued over and over again on these forums.
Haha, i agree completely with you. I just tend to not chime in on blackhawk_archery's posts...for this reason.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by HardwoodHunter
Haha, i agree completely with you. I just tend to not chime in on blackhawk_archery's posts...for this reason.
I think I'm about to take the same approach.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.