Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New Bow Hunter needs advice on ground blind vs tree stand >

New Bow Hunter needs advice on ground blind vs tree stand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Bow Hunter needs advice on ground blind vs tree stand

Old 09-17-2010, 05:47 AM
Spike

Default New Bow Hunter needs advice on ground blind vs tree stand

Hello,
I'm a new bow hunter, been hunting deer and just about everything else my whole life so i'm not a total rookie to the pastime just to the archery part. I have always hunted deer on the ground during shotgun season, for two reason, i hate heights, and its just not necessary around here in the northeast during gun season, it works for me at least. For bow season i had contemplated a ground blilnd, however the places i have to hunt are not that private so it won't be able to leave a blind set up and brushed in for anything more than overnight. I don't see how its practical to setup a ground blind each morning and brush it in in the dark without raising so much hell in the woods that...well you know what i mean.

i then pondered one of those big ass summit climbers, might make me more comfy being up a tree, but has its own set of limitations. can you guys give me some thoughts on the situation? how important is brushing in the blind assuming proper placement of the blind, how hard is it to do quickly before the hunt if necessary?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know that you need to brush in a blind, but I am no expert. I got my first blind last season. I set it up in a field next to a bush that is about twice the size of the blind. So the blind was pretty much in the open and I did not brush it in. My first time in the blind I shot a buck that didn't even know I was there. In rifle season, I shot a doe that was only 20 yards away and didn't know I was there. Plus I had other deer around me that I didn't shoot. I think if you keep movement and noise down, they won't know the difference.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:22 AM
Spike

Default which blind

which blind did you buy?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

Well a climber and a blind are gonna make the same amount of noise in the morning truthfully. I have one of those big summits, and even though it is comfy and i usually go pretty high with it (dont have the fear of heights) its still not that quiet. I mean its quieter then alot of other climbers but it still makes noise and i have defiantly scarred some deer off using that thing.

A top of the line pop up blind that just pops open might be the best for you if you considering between the two. However, i have a friend thats scared of heights and bowhunts with me, i actually found that Ladder stands tend to make him feel more comfortable then fixed positions or climbers. Having climbed hundreds of trees in my day i will say climbers can be a little nerve racking at times, especially coming down. If you have a solid fear of heights id go ground blind or Ladder stand, that or get a big boy fixed position stand and use climbing sticks. But i think noise is gonna be about the same all the way around if your setting up in the dark the morning of.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

if its a camo blind, no need fer brushin it in...i saw a guy using a blue camping tent, the deer walked right by it and paid it no attention. the black hole is what you should be going for, the sun to your "tents" back, makes it really dark inside. you dont want the deer seeing you inside is all...a tree climber is good, keeps your scent high in the air.

just remember, in the morning, you want to be over the trail, and at night under it. gl
Old 09-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Spike

can you explain the over the trail under the trail idea?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

I use a climber, and feel like cheating death every time i use it. Pick your trees carefully, hook up, and don't ever use it in the rain for ice
Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by aarongreen123
More like over the trail, and then walk on out.
Safety is paramount when using treestands. I've slid down going up, and slid when going down. That will scare you silly quick.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by aarongreen123
in the morning, the sun comes up and warms the earth...and draws uphill if you will, and when it starts to kewl, it goes back down hill, if you will.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

I used to be pretty wary of hang-ons and climbers. I've found that with practice, especially in the daylight, you can become fairly comfortable using them. My suggestion re: climbers is that you practice with it under non-hunting conditions (so that you're not worried about noise, etc) and start off low. Once you're comfortable with the technique involved with ascending and descending, you can concentrate on using it quietly, and working on getting it up a little higher.

I think if you try using it once or twice for practice, and then try ascending a tall tree in the dark, you're going to just end up needlessly scaring yourself s**tless. Just borrow someone's, and go slow and easy and you'll determine if you like using one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.