Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Busted By Doe

Old 09-17-2010, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red face Busted By Doe

Good morning my fellow Deer slayers. How long after being busted in a spot will the Deer avoid it? I went out scouting last night to a corn field freshly harvested and waited for the sun to go down. About 7:30 3 Does worked their way into the field not more than 18 yards from my spot. I expected them to enter from the other side of the field but you know they never do what you think they will. I watched them for 15 minutes before the big mature one got to a point where she could see me. Well once she took a good look she stomped the ground blew and flew. This is a well concealed spot I hope to hunt in a month or so but now I afraid I've educated them more than I learned about them. Will they come by this spot again? How long would you stay away from it after being busted? Thanks and good hunting to all.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:38 AM
Site Buck Guru

How long after being busted in a spot will the Deer avoid it?
It depends on how badly they were spooked. The more tramatic the experience, the longer they will stay away. If you shoot at one and wound it, it may not be back for several months or the rest of the season. On the other hand, if you calmly left the area without causing more disturbance, they could be back in a couple of days if that.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the most part deer are used to see humans in urbanized environments.I consider corn fields pretty urbanazied considering
there is lots of vehicals farming equipment running from early dawn to after dusk.They are pretty use to seeing people.If you didn't give chase and push it right out of country like you claim not to have done they will be back.if the food they like is there it will be back.Weather or not it's the food they want in a month is a different story.They may
want something different and move on then.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 09-17-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

If the doe just thought she saw something unusual and spooked I doubt there will be a long range affect. If she smelled you it might take longer.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

After she spooked I did not move a muscle until they went back into a thicket and then quitely left the area. She did not wind me because the wind was as good as it gets for a hunter in my favor. I watched her for quite a while and she was calm. She saw me and that spooked her,I don't think she could figure out what I was and decided not to risk geting nailed by what ever I was in her mind. So based on what you all have shared I think I will get to use that spot or close by it again.Thanks
Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Spike

You should be alright.... I went and checked a trail cam the other day only to find the first 5 pics were of family members that decided to go for a walk through the woods and trounce around my treestand, (Baffles me...no one goes out there all dang season....and then they take field trips 2 weeks before the season opener...AAGGGHH!!!), yet I had 3 does in that spot within the hour, and continued to have activity til the next morning. LOL..they were right on schedule!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muzzlearcher
You should be alright.... I went and checked a trail cam the other day only to find the first 5 pics were of family members that decided to go for a walk through the woods and trounce around my treestand, (Baffles me...no one goes out there all dang season....and then they take field trips 2 weeks before the season opener...AAGGGHH!!!), yet I had 3 does in that spot within the hour, and continued to have activity til the next morning. LOL..they were right on schedule!
haha a field trip. But yeah, he's right, i've went to check my camera...actually jumped one in front of it. Next time i went to check the camera that doe was there literally fifteen minutes after i put teh camera back up. Although in my area the deer are used to seeing people every now and then. But heck, i didn't expect her to be RIGHT back hah.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't think that every time you bump a deer or get busted that the deer leave the area because they don't. You might run a mature buck out of his core area if you continously harrass him in and around his bedding area but the does ain't going anywhere. I even bumped a big 10 right out of one of his beds in his bedding area trying to get a stand set right on the edge of his bedding area for my son to pistol hunt him and my son still killed him the very next morning in that same stand.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Banned

We had a hunting camp in Pennsylvania - about 5 miles up the road from my mom's house and I can remember dad throwing apples at two young deer and the deer eating the apples.

They had seen my dad from the time they were very young, while he was cutting grass. The camp yard was full of apple trees and to two young deer that had no fear of humans - it was like eating at the all you can eat buffet at Denny's. Come hunting season, my Uncle who owned the camp shot the one and I shot the other.

There were times where we were cutting timber and was running chainsaws and stopped to do something and looked behind us and there were deer there 30 feet away - eating browse off the tree tops.

Most urban deer have come to accept humans as a part of their lives and it doesn't make much difference to them one way or the other - as long as you are moving - it doesn't bother them.
When you sit down somewhere and decide to stay there - that is when it gets more tricky.

There are people who lives at Treasure Lake - up near Du Bois PA that will tell you that they have deer in their yards every day - that you can set your watch by them. Some of them comes walking around the side of the house - right down the side walk like family pets. Deer are real stupid - that is as long as you are not trying to archery hunt them. As soon as an arrow goes Zip - they get smart in a big hurry.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

I really don't think you have to worry about anything. If you didn't move till they where gone, more often than not they circled around and came back like rabbits. I have seen that more often than not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.