Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Think he will live?

Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Think he will live?

Haven't got anymore pics of him since this pic with the broadhead sticking out the shoulder. I was getting pics of him everyday so it concerns me that he may be laid up dead somewhere. I think someone on the adjoining farm shot him but not positive.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Really hard to say, (I wouldn't bet on it) but you never know, but if he does survive he could live with a lot of pain. Doc
Old 09-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

That right there is why I don't bow hunt. The timing of the shot, and the accuracy needed isn't something I feel comfortable attempting. Rifle hunting I am OK with.

I don't know that this particular deer will live much longer.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Tough to say. I will say that I'd be hunting for him hard for the next few weeks, and If you get a shot, take it. It's only right to finish him. Even if I knew there were better bucks around. Keep us updated if you find anything out.
-Jake
Old 09-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Spike

I shot a buck last year in gun season and didn't show any problems at all. I skinned him out and notice a "rotten" spot under his spine infront of his back legs. Got to cutting on it and found a broad head. I asked around our crew and nobody used that 3 blade. So, i am not sure how long he had it, but the hide didn't show any scars and he was walking with the does just fine. I definitely would take the shot on any legal buck that would show those signs or any injury.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The wound itself isn't life threatening. It may get infected, but those animals can battle off wound infections and have a high tolerance for pain.It probably won't last the season though, it will be killed by a hunter or some other predator.Terrible terrible shot though, but in noway am I saying one method is better than the other, bad shots are bad shots period.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 09-16-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

My uncle last yr shot a ten pt through and through lots of blood but no deer. 2 weeks later during gun season he came trotting down the same trial following a doe. Boom got him. He had the wounds almost completely healed.
When I see that pic I see an amazing animal that defy's nature. Whitetails fight or flight mechanism is remarkable. I think he'll be fine.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unhappy

I saw a guy hit a Buck with a crossbow and the Deer droped like a rock to the ground. The guys were high fiving when the Deer got up and took off. The next season the Buck was seen with a scar on his back but was doing fine. The shot was very high but missed the spine by a fraction of a inch. I think he went down because the arrow nicked a nerve but once he went down the pressure off that area alowed him to recover and get out of dodge. It's always a sad thing to see a Deer injured but as we know stuff happens in the imperfect world of hunting. Take him out if you can,I would spend my tag on any size Buck or Doe if I saw it hurt it is the right thing to do I think. Good Hunting to ya!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I see the wound, and it could have been made by a broadhead, but I don't see a broadhead or an arrow. It could have been made by a barb wire fence or something else and not be an arrow. If it was an arrow, it would depend on the angle of shot and internal damage. I doubt the deer is dead.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
That right there is why I don't bow hunt. The timing of the shot, and the accuracy needed isn't something I feel comfortable attempting. Rifle hunting I am OK with.

I don't know that this particular deer will live much longer.
Common Man!!! Don't start that fight amongst fellow hunters. There are just as many deer shot and lost during gun season. Any way I am not going to argue about that here.

The wound will not be terminal, If you can see the broad head it never went into the vitals. The body will shed the broad head and sometimes will encapsulate it in a scare like flesh. If the deer can fight off infection, it will do just fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.