Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Think he will live?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

how do you know thats a broadhead sticking out of him?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Spike

When I went through the state of IL hunter safety course last year the local game warden came in and spoke to us. He said at the time there was a doe running around my town of Mt Zion that had a arrow through its head. Residents had been calling and complaining. But he said he went out and watched the deer and it looked healthy and did not show any pain. Since it also was near neighborhoods they were not going to shoot it.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks to me that if it were a broadhead, which I am not at all convinced that it is, the angle that the picture shows is the exit. If that is the case, it would have most likely been a quartering away shot through both lungs and probably the heart too at that height. If that were the case, the deer would be dead. I doubt it is a broadhead though, and therefore am guessing that it is showing next to no effects from the wound seen.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gobble!
how do you know thats a broadhead sticking out of him?
I am using Windows Media Photo Viewer and it will let you zoom in really close. Close enough for it to look like a fixed three blade broadhead.
Bad thing is I haven't seen him since that pic was last taken.

I hope its not a broadhead as some have said. But it sure does appear to be bright metal when zoomed in.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
That right there is why I don't bow hunt. The timing of the shot, and the accuracy needed isn't something I feel comfortable attempting. Rifle hunting I am OK with.

I don't know that this particular deer will live much longer.
This is a rare instance of bad shooting, ive seen deer running around with a bullet whole in there gut from rifles. it doesnt matter what you use for weapon, things like this unfortunately happen. what matters is being able to find the kill zone and hit not what weapon you use
Old 09-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default That deer will be fine......

While hunting out to my buddies place back in the 90's, had a new hunter hit a doe right square in that shoulder blade, shooting 35#s. Deer took off running, couldn't find any blood, but found the arrow after about fitty yards. We looked for that entire day, didn't find a single drop of blood anywhere. Came back the next two days w/ 3 more people, still zero blood. This is in the middle of a rye field, 2 inches tall. Two weeks later, now firearm season, no permit, he glassed her in the very same field, goes and sits the stand next day. She comes back, he can see the wound, it festered a bit, no blood. We named her Aunt Fester, and nobody was allowed to kill her, she earned it. Lived on for the next 4 seasons.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

I've walked around the area using the wind in my advantage and also checked creeks and haven't found anything so hopefully I was wrong and it wasn't a broadhead.....

Still have not got anymore pics of him which I think is strange. He may have got my scent in the area and decided to stay away for awhile.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If that deer was hit by a broadhead, and it was walking around for a few days, it will most likely heal.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
Common Man!!! Don't start that fight amongst fellow hunters. There are just as many deer shot and lost during gun season. Any way I am not going to argue about that here.

The wound will not be terminal, If you can see the broad head it never went into the vitals. The body will shed the broad head and sometimes will encapsulate it in a scare like flesh. If the deer can fight off infection, it will do just fine.
Nah, no harm no foul. I wasn't trying to state, that bow hunting is bad.
I have done it a few times, and had the jitters so bad when I did see a deer.
That I missed so badly, I decided that I was better off rifle hunting for a few more years.

I enjoyed the experiences immensely, when I did go bow hunting. But found that for ME PERSONALLY, I didn't have the accuracy or age and experience to feel comfortable trying it again until I was older and had hunted for a few more years.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Spike

he might if it doesnt get infected

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.