Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Treestand placement?

Old 09-16-2010, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default Treestand placement?

I am having a hell of a time placing my treestand. The spot I have my treestand up looks perfect and has sign but I am giving it 2nd thought because there is so much property. I have my stand in the woods 60 yards down wind from a hay field and there is a 50 ft drop in elevation from field to open spot in woods. Along side of river, my side, there is a goat path and im thinking it may create a funnel, but up stream from that in woods there is also acorns. To my right is a small river where deer are crossing and 140 yards in back of me is another field. I might be overthinking this but it is driving me crazy. Help please? Below I have posted a drawing to help better understand question . Sorry I am a fish farmer and not a artist, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Treestand drawing.jpg (20.7 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by croc2116; 09-16-2010 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Add information
Old 09-16-2010, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

Make a cheap mspaint pic and it might be easier for people to understand.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you need multiple stand setups to take advantage of food available and wind options and access without spooking them.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

yeahthats why its driving me crazy, only so much money to spend on stands. lol
thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Go to the acorns...
Old 09-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

go to the acorns. you need atleast another stand. I think you are in a good spot but another stand will def help.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like a good morning location where your stand is currently. The wind is gonna kill you in the evening. With a bow, i would set up by the acorns. With a gun, I would set up near the point in the field.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

I agree with comments already made,your present setup looks good and another stand near the acorns would give you a good optional spot. I know what your going through because this year I have more spots and more decisions to make as well. Stick with what you've got and if it does not work then rethink and move to a different set up.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks appreciate comments especially since I have only been hunting for 2 seasons and am thirsty for knowleadge and know how
Old 09-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by croc2116
yeahthats why its driving me crazy, only so much money to spend on stands. lol
thanks

you don't need a stand to hunt.......i'm sure there are plenty of ground spots that are just as good......and you won't need a blind either, just pick a tree to sit against that allows you a good view i do it all the time with alot of sucess!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.