Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where did all my deer go??

Old 09-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Spike

While it could be the things you're putting out, it could also be the pressure you're putting on the deer. Not neccesarily the case, just a thought.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Spike

I am near central Va, the end of august I was getting pics of Does, small bucks, and the one i just posted a pic of. I had 1500 pics in 6 days. Then the last day of august, i put down deer cane, buck bran, and BB2 supplement. The deer kinda went off some, my pictures went down to 500 in 6 days. I have a small food plot I cannot get to grow so I mixed water and miracle grow and watered it down real good, the first week of Sept. After that I was getting 100 pics in a week if that. Last weekend I put out 4 gallons of black magic in 2 different sites. All the sudden I have a doe with 2 fawns I have been seeing every week, and no bucks. That decent buck was there last weekend. I hope that he will walk past my stand come oct 2nd. any advice??
Old 09-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

How long have you been hunting this parcel? The reason I ask is based on your op, it seems like you have been relying on the log road. Have you taken time to scout the entire area, do you know the travel routes to and from food sources and beds? If you don't, I think you are going to have much better luck if you identify the travel routes, developing strategy based on this information and forget about throwing stuff on the forest floor and see what it brings.

You said you can't hunt over bait so start determining the funnels and pinch points if you don't know them already. If you do, then set the camera where you know they will travel.

Something else to consider as well, are you conscious of your scent when you place these attractants down? Also, you might have put too much pressure on them going in and out.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 09-15-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Spike

Well on the outside of the woods is a bean field. I see two small paths that lead out into the bean field. Maybe ill set a camera up on on one of the paths and see if they are still using it.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by *twodogs*
How long have you been hunting this parcel? The reason I ask is based on your op, it seems like you have been relying on the log road. Have you taken time to scout the entire area, do you know the travel routes to and from food sources and beds? If you don't, I think you are going to have much better luck if you identify the travel routes, developing strategy based on this information and forget about throwing stuff on the forest floor and see what it brings.

You said you can't hunt over bait so start determining the funnels and pinch points if you don't know them already. If you do, then set the camera where you know they will travel.
Quality advice! I second it!
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the property is surrounded by road and houses, you probably had the perfect funnel. I think you're freaking them out by putting out all that crap, plus YOUR scent.
A little corn maybe, but leave the area alone, and let them feel comfortable cruising through there again!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by northms
If you put more corn out I bet they come right back. That is strange though. Could anyone else be baiting in or around you?
he prolly is competing with some mass crop also. and if he has fields nearby there may be something real tasty avail.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a case of "less is more" to me. Dont put anything out and dont go out there for at least two to three weeks. Give the deer some time to get back into their routines. I know it's like Christmas every time you check your camera but you need to slow down or you will ruin the spot. I'd give it as much time as possible before I step foot back on that land. Three weeks minimum.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have a perfect setup. The deer want to be there already. Don't mess with it by putting all that stuff out there.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your learning. One thing is what not to waste your money on . Deer move around, be patient you'll figure it out.

In a few years you'll be on here telling everyone else how everyone ought to do things.

Deer don't want your company but will eventually get used to it to a degree.

You are the perfect example of the kind of person who gets hooked on scent control. If you can get in there without them knowing you are, you will see deer. If not they have you pegged and will be on the other side long before you here them leave. Your feeding/picture taking is to them like you are standing there and they are on the other side. You've created a situation you can use if you can get on the other side undetected. Your scent control needs to be good enough that the deer think/smell you as far away as the other side when you are much closer.

They just have you pegged, you haven't ruined the place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.