Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where did all my deer go??

Old 09-15-2010, 03:56 PM
Spike

Default Where did all my deer go??

I hunt this property that has this logging road going down into the center of the woods. Last year i got a trail camera pic at the end of the year of a deer who was a 10 pointer about 28" wide. It was HUGE. Well this year i started early (July) put my treestands up and started putting out bait and minerals. I was getting 1500 pics in one week about 3 weeks ago. I went and checked the card last weekend and there was only 100 pics and not the bucks I have been getting pics of. I did put some throw and grow down and sprayed miracle grow on it. I thought that the miracle grow scared the deer off so I went and put deer cane liquid all over the ground where i had put the miracle grow. Went back about a week later and the deer were starting to come back a little. Went today and checked the camera and after 6 days NOT ONE DEER PIC!! What am i doing wrong? Am i scaring all the deer off by putting too much stuff down? What can I put down to bring them back in? HELP!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

I am going to say you have put to many products out, last year you had all this on untouched soil, now look what you have done. if you want to bait throw some corn out and stay out of there for a while.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Spike

im not trying to bait deer just get them coming in. I dont know what to do. Should i put more corn out and just leave it alone?
Old 09-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Spike

id say try moving your cams to a new food area.you problem have acorns droping now.id try to find a new food source,thats what it sounds like to me...
Old 09-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Spike

Like there is mostly pines where I am at. I have two different bait sites. One is in oaks, and the other is on a logging road in the middle of a bunch of pines. I poured corn out about 3 weeks ago and the deer were all over it. All the corn is pretty much gone now. Where I am from it is illegal to hunt over any type of bait so it just all has to be gone before hunting season Oct 2nd. At both sites last weekend. I poured out a bottle of black magic liquid deer cane. (1 gallon at each site) and then took another bottle and put it in a backpack sprayer and sprayed all around (1 gallon at each site). Im wondering if the smell was a little overwhelming. I am still getting a few does on the camera. 1-10 pics. Do you think if I just put more corn out a little bit down from the site on the logging road, that maybe I can set my camera up on that and get some deer to come in? I need all the help I can get right now.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

yes, that deer cain is crap, use corn and apples now. and mineral and salt licks in late winter with some corn. next spring try getting some clover to grow on the road, then ou can seed with oats in fall.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Spike

How long do you think it will take for the deer cane that I sprayed and dumped on the ground will take to go away.

Im not sure if the deer cane is just not interesting to them anymore, or if it scared them off. I am hoping that they are just bored with it. I have been putting it out for almost 3 weeks. Maybe if I move about 20 yards down the road with my bait pile. And I might have to move my treestand down the road a little to. Or put on a clamp-on stand.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Spike

If you put more corn out I bet they come right back. That is strange though. Could anyone else be baiting in or around you?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Did you get no pictures or just no bucks? Might be that they are still there and something is wrong with your camera. Is the bait still disapearing like before? Not sure where you're hunting but acorns are dropping in Virginia and changed the deer travel patterns around here. I move my cams this time of year every year because of that.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Spike

No I am all by myself. It is about 15 Acres. Surrounded by roadways and like 4 houses. It is bow only area. I am the only one out there. I guess this weekend I will dump some corn out and hope for the best. Here are some pics I have been getting of this one buck.
Attached Thumbnails Where did all my deer go??-mdgc0028.jpg   Where did all my deer go??-mdgc0067.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.