Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

pros and cons of......

Old 09-16-2010, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default pros and cons of......

i was thinking the other day about how many squirrels are in the 111 acre area i hunt and if i was to hunt most of them out of the woods if that would help the woods be a better deer habitat than it already is. ( it's a good area already) there are tons of red and white oak trees in the woods and many other natural food sources. imo there are too many squirrels. do any of you know if this would help or hurt the area? pros and cons by doing this?
Old 09-16-2010, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

yeah, gotta thin down the tree rats, they make alot of noise, eat up all the acorns, and bust you at the most inoportune time.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

You might put a temporary dent in the local population, but 111 acres is a lot of habitat for them and they have a very high reproduction rate. Plus, the surrounding populations will fill in the hole that you create as soon as you let off...

Just so you're forewarned. Could make for some fun bow practice though...
Old 09-16-2010, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

I was thinking about bringing a laser pointer into the woods. You think they will chase it like a cat?

To answer your question.....kill them all and tell us what happens. I will offer my services in return for hunting rights. Thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

the deer live in the woods, squirrels are not gonna scare the deer away...you'll have a harder time with bee's and predators.
i have had squirrels jump on my head before, while in a tree stand, scare the crud outta me, but they didnt tell the deer.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

Thinning them out isn't going to improve the habitat outside of makeing healthier for them, less diesase and such. But you start stomping around hunt tree rats and the deer wont be as likely to use it during the day. Start shooting on one end and the deer are out the other.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
the deer live in the woods, squirrels are not gonna scare the deer away...you'll have a harder time with bee's and predators.
i have had squirrels jump on my head before, while in a tree stand, scare the crud outta me, but they didnt tell the deer.

I call bull$hit here. Squirrels are rats.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

thin them with a .22 so it wont be so loud and run the deer away. but, squirrels will bark when they bust you and let other animals know your there, but they also will let you know when a deer is around cause they will run off doing the samething. but i have seen a doe walk right by a squirrel and it scared the piss outta the squirrel and it went running up a tree barking and the doe hauled tail also. they can screw up a hunt quick
Old 09-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by maryland_whitetail
i call bull$hit here. Squirrels are rats.
ok tardo recardo, your calling bs on the squirrels livin in the woods, or the deer, or that a squirrel jumped on me...think the school bell rang, run along
Old 09-16-2010, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
ok tardo recardo, your calling bs on the squirrels livin in the woods, or the deer, or that a squirrel jumped on me...think the school bell rang, run along

HAHA You calling me a retard. You said the squirrel didn't tell the deer....get it now?? Someone who tells on someone else is a rat........Squirrels are referred to as tree rats?!? WOW. Idiot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.