HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   cover scents (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/329672-cover-scents.html)

david33 09-13-2010 11:10 AM

cover scents

Do any of you use cover scents like fox uring or something like that? I've also thought about using tinks season long, going by what their website says. I'm looking for new techniques to help me become a better hunter since I will be hunting from an open treestand instead of a box stand.

ADVWannabee 09-13-2010 11:35 AM

I read somewhere years ago that cover scents were a waste of money as they don't actually cover your scent. Deer's noses are like dogs and they can pick out scents within scents. Where people smell vegetable soup, deer smell peas, carrots, beans, etc. Under that theory, deer would smell you and the fox.

kswild 09-13-2010 01:13 PM

I do not use cover scents. I'll tell you why. I can show you video footage of me sitting in a ground blind sweating my *** off with no shirt on and deer going about their normal activities not more than 50 yards away.. I eventually did get busted but it was because my tripod was making the tiniest of noise... They heard me before they smelled me.. Now to top it off the wind was at my back blowing straight at the deer.. Like I said I have video proof. My belief is deer are accustom to human scent. I think when it comes to humans they rely on hearing and sight more than scent.. Not to say they won't bust you by scent THEY WILL. But I think you are better off playing the wind. Take it how ever you want, this is from more than 40 years being in the woods and around deer. Cover scents are not necessary for going undetected in the deer woods.
Live it up! Doug

Night Crawler 09-13-2010 05:01 PM

I agree with the above, and I also have my 2 cents to add, I think cover scents get their attention and now they process thhe scent even further . I just try and stay clean and scent free, soap and clothing wash. I am not a believer of carbon suits yet, I think it's alot of maint, I don't know though

lucky_shot 09-13-2010 06:57 PM

i used a skunk cover scent last year for a few days and spooked more deer than i ever would have... hunt with the wind in your face

PY Antlers 09-13-2010 07:22 PM

For one, I would never use a skunk cover scent, because a skunk sprays when it's threatened and I believe all the other critters know that, raises an alarm with them. I stay and keep all my hunting gear as human scent free as I can. Yes I use coon scent on my rubber boots which are kept in a container filled with different branchs and weeds etc.. If there is any human scent on them it's very little and combined with a little coon, to a deer seems very old and nonthreating. Along with that I play the wind as well. I have done this for years and I know it works.

noidurism 09-13-2010 07:29 PM

i use to use red fox urine. worked good! last 2 yrs. i been using nothing but standing in the creek water and mud. works great!