Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
UPDATE What is this?? UPDATE new pic. >

UPDATE What is this?? UPDATE new pic.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

UPDATE What is this?? UPDATE new pic.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Spike

KS - I really maintain that we need clearer pictures, but thought that outlining the shape after magnifying the picture could be helpful for others to look at.

2lunger - I never said wiki was fact. You have not posted any scientific facts either there buddy. Get YOUR facts down first before saying there ARE NOT any of an animal. Show the rest of us proof the same way you are asking for proof. PS. I'm a girl.

"In cats, melanism results in the fur of the animal being very dark or black in colour. In many cases the usual markings of the animal can be faintly seen through the dark fur, especially at certain angles in bright sunlight. Melanism occurs because of a mutation or abnormality of one of the cats genes which is associated with coat coloration and markings. Melanism is hereditary, but is not necessarily passed directly from one generation to the next - it is therefore common to see ‘mixed’ litters with one black cub along side normally coloured brothers and sisters. Melanisim can also occur in other species of wild cat - black coated caracal, Geoffrey’s cat, margay, bobcat, ocelot, jaguarundi and serval have been noted in the smaller cats as well as occasional mention of the coloration in the larger lion, tiger and cougar. " - from a site about wild cats.

Again though it could well be dogs, without clear video or a clearer photo there's not a surefire way of knowing.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rowdyhntr0411
2lunger - I never said wiki was fact. You have not posted any scientific facts either there buddy. Get YOUR facts down first before saying there ARE NOT any of an animal. Show the rest of us proof the same way you are asking for proof. PS. I'm a girl.
Hence the attitude. As soon as this game is over I will finally put in the time to prove to you that there is no such thing as a black cougar. Heck, no documented picture or living/dead of such creature should be enough proof.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
Explain This.
http://www.anomalist.com/features/jag.html
Live it up! Doug
This, Doug, I will buy. But these cats are rather small and are no where as big as these dogs in this trail cam photo. I do, however, fell that these cats are in north america.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Spike

Two Black Panthers
Old 09-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright. They are two black labs. One one the left and one on the right. The front one has his tail up like a bird dog. There isnt any panther I've ever seen in pics or videos that walk around with its tail up. Com on guys.
Attached Thumbnails UPDATE What is this?? UPDATE new pic.-panther-crop.jpg  
Old 09-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
Hence the attitude. As soon as this game is over I will finally put in the time to prove to you that there is no such thing as a black cougar. Heck, no documented picture or living/dead of such creature should be enough proof.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

Anyways, It'd be cool if the cam did end up with some clearer pics of the same animals, so we all knew for sure . I personally am torn. I feel like the legs ARE slender, but that one head just has me scratching my own. It's so boxy!
Old 09-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rowdyhntr0411
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.
What? You didn't like my attitude comment?

WM: Many reports are of "black panthers". Is there really a black panther?
DR. SHROPSHIRE: To our knowledge, no black Florida panther has ever been confirmed in North America, either in the wild or in captivity. As stated above, the vast majority of panthers are light brown in color. The jaguar, a close relative of the panther which is found in Mexico and Central America, does have a black phase, as does the leopard which is found in Asia and Africa. The black panther is a myth, however, largely perpetuated by novelists, the movies and by those who confuse the jaguar or leopard with the panther.

There are no authenticated cases of truly melanistic cougars (pumas). Melanistic cougars have never been photographed or shot in the wild and none have ever been bred. There is wide consensus among breeders and biologists that the animal does not exist.[citation needed]
Black cougars have been reported in Kentucky and in the Carolinas. There have also been reports of glossy black cougars from Kansas, Texas and eastern Nebraska.[citation needed] These have come to be known as the "North American black panther". Sightings are currently attributed to errors in species identification by non-experts, and by the memetic exaggeration of size.
Black panthers in the American Southeast feature prominently in Choctaw folklore where, along with the owl, they are often thought to symbolize Death.
In his Histoire Naturelle (1749), Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon, wrote of the "Black Cougar"[6]:

I'm not sure how much clearer we can get that black cougars do not exist. There is more scientific evidence that ghosts and Big Foot exist over such a thing as a black cougar.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

no offense there sport, but that article is no different than quoting wiki.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Spike

You know. Someone once told me that a zorse was genetically impossible and it could not exist.

I guess some people have to see it to believe it.

Now I did want to say that I didn't mean to say that what I have seen is for a fact a panther. Again, we're close enough to South America that Jaguars wouldn't be surprising, plus there are a lot of exotic breeders in this country. I"m just saying a black large cat is not impossible ; ) . AGAIN though... without clear pictures we may never know.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
no offense there sport, but that article is no different than quoting wiki.
What evidence do you want???? I can't find an article that says they do exist. How about this...you find me a picture or evidence that states that there is a black phase cougar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.