Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
UPDATE What is this?? UPDATE new pic. >

UPDATE What is this?? UPDATE new pic.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

UPDATE What is this?? UPDATE new pic.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kswild
Don't know where this was taken but it is definitely a BLACK PANTHER .... I've seen many in the wild....Make no mistake the head slender body and tail are a dead giveaway. This is not two dogs.
Live it up! Doug
I agree, although I've only seen one in real life, not "many" like Doug.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Anyone can post anything at Wiki and claim it true - just like a forum. A cougar is a panther in NA - black ones do not and never have existed regardless of how many wish they could. Posting pictures of black deer, or any melanistic animal other then a mountain lion is not proof that a melanistic ml is possible.
Steve - if you go back through the forum a bit more, the poster originally argued that only Jaguars and Leopards could be black. The melanism was to point out that it is a common gene in other species and can be mistaken for a "black" gene. If you'll note, I posted both a jaguar with melanism AND a common bobcat, which at least shows that big cats can carry the gene. Whether it is a panther or cougar or what have you, the fact of the matter is large black or melanistic cats do exist and do walk around.

Again though, I'd want to see better pictures before deciding what these were. Looking at it it could be a large cat... but the cams aren't always perfectly accurate now are they?
Old 09-26-2010, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
X2. That's what it looked like to me. The second one stretched out gives a profile that looks surprisingly catlike, but that first animal looks like a dog.
The one on the left's backline is consistantly flat. Which means that's its whole back, there would be a little droop where the neck would be located. There isn't. This makes me believes that it is two cat's where the first ones head is on the other side of its body looking back at teh other one. Just my personal opinion
Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Spike

Looks like to me two large cats.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Spike

For your comparison pleasure :

If anyone has a better dog image, please jump on in, I couldn't find one.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Rowdyhntr0411
For your comparison pleasure :

If anyone has a better dog image, please jump on in, I couldn't find one.
So what are you saying dog or cat?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

meeooowww,

I like that remote control dog.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Spike

a few years back, a friend of mine in South Carolina got a weird trail cam pic at night, in a clear area, of a large cat that appeared to be black. it was a clear picture of the animal and while we assumed that it was a panther, we could not beleive it.

then not too long after we learned that there once used to be a good population of them in sc but had gone extinct and recently the sc dnr had released a certain number of the animals to bring them back into the area.

il look for the article
Old 09-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by XBolt ShortMag
then not too long after we learned that there once used to be a good population of them in sc but had gone extinct and recently the sc dnr had released a certain number of the animals to bring them back into the area.

il look for the article
Please do.

To the fella that use wiki to make his case, I hope you understand what wiki is. There is a reason you can't cite wiki and use the information in college term papers.

I also said that jaguars and leopards could and in fact are fact black. Again, you and no one else here has put any scientific evidence that there are black cougars. Reason being is that they don't exist.

Come on guys....do you really think we have caught two black jaguars, that are extremely nocturnal, in broad daylight walking around together, which is another extreme rarity, getting ready to mate in the woods of Mississippi?
Old 09-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
Please do.

To the fella that use wiki to make his case, I hope you understand what wiki is. There is a reason you can't cite wiki and use the information in college term papers.

I also said that jaguars and leopards could and in fact are fact black. Again, you and no one else here has put any scientific evidence that there are black cougars. Reason being is that they don't exist.

Come on guys....do you really think we have caught two black jaguars, that are extremely nocturnal, in broad daylight walking around together, which is another extreme rarity, getting ready to mate in the woods of Mississippi?
Explain This.
http://www.anomalist.com/features/jag.html
Live it up! Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.