Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Dipping Wintergreen while deer hunting? >

Dipping Wintergreen while deer hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dipping Wintergreen while deer hunting?

Old 09-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Dipping Wintergreen while deer hunting?

Ok,so i dip Copenhagen Wintergreen. Will the smell scare the deer away? Or do they like that smell? Thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

I have dipped Skoal wintergreen on stand for more than 30 years. I don't know if the deer like it but I sure as heck do so I'm going to be dippin' this year too. I shot a doe once that "tracked" me to the stand from where I was spitting on the walk in. I have read somewhere that they don't like wintergreen tho. Hope that helped.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

my dad dips longhorn wintergreen we've never had a problem.... and larry benoit the author of the book how to bag the biggest buck in your life says he chews redman while hunting because he thinks the deer like the smell of the mollases in it.... but smoking while hunting to me seems to be a bad idea because the smell is so unusual
Old 09-13-2010, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had them spook at the spot below my stand that the spit seems to land. I don't let a deer I want to shoot get that close though. Overall, it probably deos not help.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

For some reason I dont chew that much unless I'm hunting but when I'm chewing I usually have a empty bottle with me and use that. I hunt out of Box Clinds when I rifle hunt so its easier just to use a bottle. Ive used a bottle in a stand as well as just spit it on the ground, never have had a problem.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Spike

My 62yo uncle smokes while he deer hunts. I spend countless hours and money on scent control and he smokes.

Last year he shot a giant 6x6. I got a few doe. He thinks I'm crazy and I think the same of him.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

i am a smoker until deer season rolls around and then i dip grizzly wintergreen longcut. i don't think it bothers them much because i've never gone without deer meat
Old 09-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

I know people who have said they had to put there smoke out to draw there bow. I don't smoke but it doesn't seem to bother those deer at that time. Don't know about the next one.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Spike

I've never noticed them caring one way or the other. Definitely never seen one spook because of it, but you never know what the ones did that you didn't see.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Spike

I have a friend thats hunts Brown County, IL with us every year on opening day........he takes leaks off his stand, smokes non-stop, drinks coffee, and coughs incessantly (from the cigarettes of course)... and that lousy SOB is the first to down a deer every year! So the cover scent combo of Malboro and Folgers works well...lol

And he does it from a 12' ladder stand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.