Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Treestand dilemma?

Old 09-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Treestand dilemma?

I have been given permission to hunt private land and to put up a treestand, but he doesnt want trees damaged and no big treestands like I was planning to put up. My question is how good is a basic 15' manufactured ladderstand to shoot out of, because I already have one? Have you harvested many deer out of them? Or would a small wooden stand be better? Also shooting rail attachments is it better to buy one or make one out of wood?

Thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have 6 ladder stands, 13' being the tallest one. Other then hunting on the ground, ladder stands are the only kind of treestand I have used. They work fine.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the cheap 15 ft ladderstands. I've killed a ton of deer with bow and gun with them. Don't let some telll you they will not work. Just make sure your ourline is broken up with cover behind you.

Why would he care if you use a lock on type stand? There would be no damage as long as you take it down at the end of season. I have also used steps made from 4x4 blocks that are attacked with ropes. No damage at all.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
Just make sure your ourline is broken up with cover behind you.

That's the whole key to hunting successfully out of ladder stands. You do not want to prop a ladder stands up on a single tree stuck out all by itself. Try to find a tree with a fork or multiple forks and limbs that branch out at the same height as the ladder stand with good back cover behind it.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

I have used lock ons all my life with no damage done to the trees at all. Just buy some lock on climbing sticks and NOT the screw in steps.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:18 AM
Typical Buck

I use a stand that uses ratchet straps to attach to the tree and the same with the climbing sticks. Nothing is screwed into the tree.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with the ladder stand, just find the right location for it as mentioned above. As far as the shooting rail, definitely use it. I also take a single pole shooting stick with me and hold that against the shooting rail, makes a very solid rest.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Overall, ladder stands are very safe and will be a lot easier to move than building a wooden stand. On our ladder stands, I use either the burlap camo or camo plastic tarp to conceal the seat area. I like the double stands also, just more room and not much more expensive. I also take 1/2 " pvc and build a frame and put an aluminum top on the stands. I might have some pictures around here of a couple of those covered stands if I can find them.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Spike

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a 15' ladder stand for around $60, and they come with a harness.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Spike

I am a forester and the concern on damaging the tree is not so much with the screw in steps if you remove them at the end of every season and rotate your stand locations. The trouble is leaving them in and letting the tree grow with them and hold them. The tree is ruined, useless. Nothing makes me sicker than to see a good tree with spikes, nails, railroad spikes, wooden stand. Hunters pick the best tree for the stand. So, just remove the screw in steps after each season.

As for the ladder stands, nothing wrong with them at all. Sportsman's Guide, Walmart, whatever is the cheapest. A little harder to move, but stable, comfortable and just as successful.