Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Guilty Feelings

Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
Well said. I too respect the deer for being a cunning prey. They have awesome senses, many times that above us humans. We have been slowly drifting away from our past and nature, and as a whole are not as in tune with mother nature as we once were. I for one try to return to the ways of the past and not be so modernized Some don't remember all of our ancestors lived in a cave. Killing to eat was the only way to survive. Now because you can go to the store and buy a steak doesn't mean the killing has stopped, it just means someone else is doing the killing for you.
Live it up! Doug
Some of our Canadian Indians should take a page from their southern cousins.
There isn't a living creature living on their Reserves execpt for a bunch of starving dogs.A couple of years they set up road blocks all over the Caribou Region of British Columbia. They claimed their were not enough Moose in the area for every hunter to hunt them they wanted them for themselves.We went up there anyway took our chances lucky for us there wasn't a road block in the region we had Legal LEH Moose tags for.These Indians were turning away hunters with legit licences all over this region.We drove up a logging road not far a awy from an Indian Reservation and there was burned up vehicals everywhere.Could not drive a quater of a mile without seeing garbage and stolen vehicals burned up just off the road. .We drove close to 60 miles on this road before we found some good hunting grounds.We ended up getting 3 bulls between 7 of us. But geezes what animal would want to make babies in a 60 mile garbage dump.Then we had to drive these things out.Good thing those Indians weren't there blocking the road on us cause we wouldn't have just givin those Moose away.Anyways yeah seriously they are bad for wiping out herds of animals and leaving trash every where it doesn't belong.
Take it fit what you want it's a fact, it's not made up.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

So let me get this straight. Taking a life has no impact on you at all except for "Whoo hoo???" I am sorry but I feel something when I take a life. Yes its an animal. Its "just" a deer but it was alive and because of me it is now dead. That is humbling and sobering. I like the Native American analogy of paying respect. I believe that God game us dominion over all the animals on the earth so I see nothing wrong with ethically harvesting an animal but I find it almost sad that you can kill something and not feel it at all. Just my opinion.
And please, no one here kills to survive. You can not honestly, with a hand on the bible, tell me that you would die of starvation if you didn't hunt. I love hunting with my entire being but it is a sport.

Last edited by phil_pick; 09-13-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by phil_pick
So let me get this straight. Taking a life has no impact on you at all except for "Whoo hoo???" I am sorry but I feel something when I take a life. Yes its an animal. Its "just" a deer but it was alive and because of me it is now dead. That is humbling and sobering. I like the Native American analogy of paying respect. I believe that God game us dominion over all the animals on the earth so I see nothing wrong with ethically harvesting an animal but I find it almost sad that you can kill something and not feel it at all. Just my opinion.
Too each their own.Like you said your opinion.Yeah I took a life cause I chose to not by accident or cave into doing it through pressure from my partners.I pick and choose what I want to kill, very very carefully.It's been 6 years since I killed a deer cause I haven't seen one I wanted to kill.But when I do choose to kill Or involved in a kill it's exiciting.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 09-13-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

So let me get this straight. Taking a life has no impact on you at all except for "Whoo hoo???" I am sorry but I feel something when I take a life.
Grew up on a farm - been killing the animals I eat since the age of 5 - 54 years.
I don't whoowhoo but the only impact I feel after a clean kill is "it's time to go to work".
Old 09-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Grew up on a farm - been killing the animals I eat since the age of 5 - 54 years.
I don't whoowhoo but the only impact I feel after a clean kill is "it's time to go to work".
You should try out the whoowhoo.Before you go to work.LOL.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Oh don't get me wrong. I am just as excited as the next guy even when just sitting in the woods. Thats why I hunt. Other than paintball, (hunting people it's the most exciting and exhilarating experience in the great outdoors. But when I end a life there is still a part of me that feels for the animal. I just ended it's life. Thats humbling.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

And please, no one here kills to survive. You can not honestly, with a hand on the bible, tell me that you would die of starvation if you didn't hunt. I love hunting with my entire being but it is a sport.
There are more starving families in this country than you know, starvation, homelessness. Here are some statistics for ya.

In 2000, 13 million children lived in households that did not have an adequate supply of food, and almost 3 million of these children lived in households that experienced hunger.
U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, March 2002 "Household Food Security in the United
States, 2000"
Between 2000 and 2001, requests for emergency food assistance increased by an average of 23% in American cities, with 54% of requests coming from families with children.
— U.S. Conference of Mayors, December 2001, "A Status Report on Hunger and Homelessness in American Cities, 2001"

33 million Americans continue to live in households that did not have an adequate supply of food. Nearly one-third of these households contain adults or children who went hungry at some point in 2000.
U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, March 2002, "Household Food Security in the United States, 2000"

So Please don't tell me for some families it's not a survival thing. It might be a sport to you .... but because of Hunters Feeding the Hungry someone will NOT be going hungry tonight. You my friend need to open your eyes to what's going on in the world.
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-14-2010, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh don't get me wrong. I am just as excited as the next guy even when just sitting in the woods. Thats why I hunt. Other than paintball, (hunting people it's the most exciting and exhilarating experience in the great outdoors. But when I end a life there is still a part of me that feels for the animal. I just ended it's life. Thats humbling.
I respect the fact that that makes you humble.
I mean that and respect that in a good way although it may come across wrong.I'm bad for words.You don't have to defend yourself
with me anyways or that that matter anyone else that has the same ideals as me. I don't know you at all but you have a heart obviously when it comes to taking a life.To me to live is to die and it comes at any time.One minute your alive the next your minced meat.It is what it is.I accept death for what it is but have a heart for those who suffer
through pain and starvation.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 09-14-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by StealthHtr22
We're constantly developing rural ground, & invading their space. We're reducing their resources (i.e. cover, food, travel routes,etc.). I just think these reports are driven by Insurance companies & our government keeping their head in the sand. And areas to hunt are hard and hard to find, some disappearing because of some kind of development.
I don't buy this argument. As a forester, I see firsthand the difference between forested areas and developed areas (including agriculture). The deer densities are far higher near edges than in undeveloped forest. Deer are generalists, and thrive where people live in all but the most urbanized environments.

Where I do agree with you is that development reduces opportunities for hunting because a lot of land is locked up out of reach of the average hunter. That's not the same as reduced deer habitat, however.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand we all have a personal feeling about this subject. Count me as one who truly feels sad when the life of the deer I have been watching and hunting is suddenly ended. Yes, I feel sad the moment I walk over to that deer. I also understand for me to be a successful hunter, a life must be taken.

This takes nothing away from me as a dedciated hunter. I experience the excitement of the hunt, the joy knowing I have been successful while sharing all this with my hunting friends. I have the right to experience all the feelings of the hunt which includes those few personal moments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.