Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How high is too high in a climber >

How high is too high in a climber

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How high is too high in a climber

Old 09-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Spike

Default How high is too high in a climber

I picked up a Summit Viper SS today. The directions said something like "no need to go over 15 feet". Maybe their lawyers told them to say that.

How high is too high for a climbing stand. How high do you normally climb?

Thanks,

Randy
Old 09-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have a Summit (API bowhunter climber) but I go as high as I can without being skylined. If I can get into the thick part of the canopy then all the better. I have a 25 foot rope tied to the hand climber/seat on mine and have went till my bow started lifting off the ground on several different hunts. Climb as far as you need to just remember the tree gets smaller as you go up and your stand starts to tip down after you get so high. I set my stand so as to not "turn over" in that I have it very tight to the tree at an angle when I start. Hard to exsplain but you'll see what I'm saying when you practice with yours.

Last edited by sprintflyer; 09-11-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

you are to high when the transition of the stand goes from pointing up to it severely pointing down, that is when the stand is not as secure and you have a tendency to fall forward. I go up to around 20-25 feet. maybe a little higher on slopes but there is no need to be up 40-50 in my opinion
Old 09-12-2010, 03:26 AM
Typical Buck

Some good responses here already. Unless the 'browse line' prevents me from going higher, I try to NOT hunt in a climber at 15 feet or less. I prefer to be around 30 feet. 20 feet is good, but the canopy can start messing with you above that. Plus shot angle can be a factor. Ultimately, your biggest obstacle is stand safety. As SprintFlyer stated, your stand can flip though the cables if the tree becomes narrow and your stand points downward too far.

If your new to climber stands, I recommend that you use an ascension rope and harness while climbing to your desired height. This will prevent you from falling should you be ejected from the stand because you "flipped" the cables.

Stand platform should be 90 degress to the tree ideally, once you have reached your height. So set it up a little bit more acute at the base to compensate for the larger trunk size. Like 70 degrees or so (your feet should slide toward tree while on the platform and facing the tree at this angle). If your climbing and the angle of the platform to tree becomes greater than 120 degrees (feet are clearly sliding away from the tree), there is a really good chance that you are about to flip through the cables.

Remember to FIRST always hook your harness to a tree strap once you reach your desired height.

BTW, I bough the Summit Razor SS last year. Same thing as your Viper, but with a drop down bar for bow hunters. Man I love that stand! I can sit in it all day. My Lonewolf is nice too, just hard on the butt after 3 hours!
Old 09-12-2010, 04:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have a 20 foot rope, when it is near the end or picking up my gun or bow i feel i am where i need to be, sometimes 17' is good other times i may need to climb to 22-25', one thing i found out very quickly when i started using the pull up rope of a known lenght, i found out that i had not been climbing as high as i thought i was, i sucked at judging height, i know most everybody else does too, cause i see guys setting 10-12 feet up and saying they were 15-20, the only way to really know is have something that can measure it with/by, terrain will also fool you...you been given some good safety advice, take it, i have had two scary incedents several years back...start out slow and get used to your new equipment. and always utilize a safety device, your family will thank you for it
Old 09-12-2010, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Several years ago I got a Summit Viper and on part of my land I had cut it to a heavy seed tree stand of pines. I had a 50 foot cord and by the time I got to the lowest limbs I was at the end of the rope. The wind was probably at around 15 mph and I don't think I could have hit a deer at 30 yards if I had to.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 AM
Spike

Default how high

Climb to a height that gives you the best cover behind you ! break up your sillouette and you will be ok. no matter how high you reasonably climb at distances you will be at eye level or easily picked out if you move!!
Old 09-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

I had a climber but sold it got tired of all the extra weight going up the steep hill I hunt,I bought a turret ground blind for 90 bux was the best move I ever made keeps me dry and warm and I am undetectable to the deer and turkey,I have had deer 5 yards out be looking right at me and still able to draw my bow back because they cant see through the mesh also have had several turkey walk around the blind.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on how bad it is lightning.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Spike

Depends on how bad it is lightning.
Now THAT's a scary thought!

Thanks everyone for the good advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.