HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Neighbor shooting into my land (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/329543-neighbor-shooting-into-my-land.html)

ramdino 09-11-2010 01:23 PM

Neighbor shooting into my land

My neighbor has just set up a box blind that is less than 50 yds from my property line and he is looking and shooting into my land and another neighbors who has not given him permission. Is there any laws against this and does anyone have any suggestions?

sconnyhunter 09-11-2010 01:33 PM

As long as he doesn't actually shot an animal on yours or another's property, there isn't much that you can do. Except, ask him politely to move back another 50-100 yards.

northms 09-11-2010 02:18 PM

Contact the game warden in your area. Let him know what is going on. If you hear him shoot this year and it's on your land give the warden a call and he will be able to already know the situation and then you have him.

blackhawk_archery 09-11-2010 02:45 PM

If he is on his land there isnt anything you can do 50 yards away is quite a bit of distance if he is hunting with a bow,i assume he is hunting with a gun but unless you actualy see him on your property you should probaly just mind your own business considering the fact that he is hunting on his land that he pays taxes on and maybe im not understanding the full story because you didnt say he is actualy shooting on to your land or what type of weapon just because his blind or stand is facing your way doesnt mean he is shooting on your property,I gun and bow hunt 25 yards from a property line nobody hunts the other property but I dont shoot animals on that side of the property even tho the front window of my blind is facing it.

SteveBNy 09-11-2010 02:49 PM

Shooting an animal on your land is illegal - looking at it is not.
Do you and hime have reciprocal recovery rights if a deer either of you hits crosses onto the others property?

Jeff Ovington 09-11-2010 02:57 PM

Looks like he'll wait till they jump the fence.But I know of one loop hole..Man I come up with some of the best ideas.
I should write a book and make a million.Build a "livable"shed call it a doghouse just inside your property.For $10- 15000 purchase in of those prefab homes you get at home depot. There has to be some law saying you can't shoot around buildings under a certain distance. Usually Its about 200 yrds maybe more maybe less but I'm sure there Is a min distance you have to be away from before you can shoot.Weather or not it affects your own hunting I don't know but he really has to move on.Even if he bow hunts he can't hunt near a residential dwelling I don't think anyways.But look into it, it's one he'll of an idea I gave you and the advice is free.LOL

ADVWannabee 09-11-2010 03:04 PM

In Virginia you cannot shoot a deer on another person's land. You can't even track a deer on other land without permission. I don't know if he his bow or gun hunting, but I don't see how you can be upset about another person hunting as long as they don't shoot deer on your land.

northms 09-11-2010 03:51 PM

Guys he said "he is looking and SHOOTING INTO MY LAND". That's the problem here.

blackhawk_archery 09-11-2010 04:16 PM

Oh I didnt read that right the first time or something,you could always go to his door and let him know that you dont want him shooting animals on your property line,im sure he would not do it again.

Pygmy 09-11-2010 04:38 PM

If he walks on your land he is trespassing....If he shoots an animal on your land and makes no effort to recover it, in most states that is wanton waste... He can be arrested for either offense..

As far as LOOKING at your land, I don't think you have any legal recourse to prevent him from doing that, as much as it might offend you..