Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Neighbor shooting into my land >

Neighbor shooting into my land

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neighbor shooting into my land

Old 09-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would just approach the gent and have a talk with him. Don't get hostile or anything, just be cool and ask him to stop doing what he's doing.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Spike

Put your stand on the edge of your property. Then you could wave to each other. At least its not on the property line. Just try to use his actions to your advantage. The buck will likley skirt around that big box blind maybe right to you. Just relax, don't let this guy affect your enjoyment of the sport. Put yourself in his shoes would you want your neighbor picking a fight over the same thing.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

Send him a copy of the Ten Commandments of Firearm Safety:
  1. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
  2. Treat every firearm as though it were loaded.
  3. Always make sure the firearm is unloaded and keep the action open except when actually hunting or preparing to shoot.
  4. Be sure the barrel and action are clear of obstruction and that you have the proper ammunition for the firearm you are carrying.
  5. Be sure of your target before you pull the trigger.
  6. Never point a firearm at anything you do not want to shoot. Avoid all horseplay with any firearm.
  7. Never climb a fence, tree, or jump a ditch with a loaded firearm.
  8. Never shoot at a flat hard surface or water.
  9. Store firearms and ammunition separately.
  10. Always know your target and what's behind it.
Tell him to pay special attention to # 10

Live it up! Doug
Old 09-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

I'd ask them nicely that you prefer they don't shoot on your land. React accordingly to their response.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:53 AM
Spike

I had a similar situation...
I would regularly spray the trails and general area with diesel fuel just prior the the season opening and during the season.It seamed to have a negative effect on deer movement in the immediate area.He then started baiting and put up a camera.I sprayed the corn.Deer didn't like that either.
Game warden can't help unless you catch him in the act.In my case the guy's stand is in a laurel thicket;He can't see deer unless they are on my property.He declared war in my opinion when he built the blind.I'll let you know how it works out
Old 09-12-2010, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Take some old plywood and build a ground blind about 30 yards from the line on your own property, across from his stand, and paint it bright pink. I'll bet he moves his. Leaving a cheap radio on in it will help also.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ya need ta video him shooting/walking on your land..if ya dont do that, ya got nothin.
if ya start crap with this guy, it could be 4 generations of landowners hating each other, it would be better to make friends with him. no sense in hating.. have a beer with the guy, maybe an after hunt party ya know.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

I would definitely talk with him before the season starts. Explain to him that you will be hunting in the area and would prefer not to become a statistic with a bullet crossing into your property.

This actually happened to me on a lease I hunt in northern MO about 4 years ago. I was in a treestand and a saw a doe and 6 pointer walking parallel with the property line on our side. I heard shots a saw both animals get shot within 15 yards of me. I waited until the husband and wife jumped the fence. The husband went to get his 4 wheeler to carry the deer. I got down and waited for his return and explained to him that it was illegal to hunt across property lines. I had to explain to him that first he had shot an illegal deer by not having 4 points on one side due to the antler restrictions the county had and second that I would have been in his line of fire if I was hunting from the ground and would prefer not to become a statistic.

Our hunting group of 10 went to their camp that evening and shared our concerns with them. The apologized over and over and we haven't had any issues since. It could have been they knew we held the hammer since they had really did 3 illegal activities, 2 deer shot across property lines and an illegal buck but I truly believed that they understood the severity of the situation from a safety perspective.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up Future friend??? Can't have enough....

Originally Posted by StealthHtr22
I'd ask them nicely that you prefer they don't shoot on your land. React accordingly to their response.
I agree Stealth...You can't have enough friends in this world, let alone w/ abutting property. I know it can get pretty frustrating not being able to control what people do on their own property, I just wish they would see and do, everything the way I would like.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gut Check

Our hunting group of 10 went to their camp that evening and shared our concerns with them. The apologized over and over and we haven't had any issues since. It could have been they knew we held the hammer since they had really did 3 illegal activities, 2 deer shot across property lines and an illegal buck but I truly believed that they understood the severity of the situation from a safety perspective.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
I think the only reason they apologized is because they were caught, and because there were 10 of ya.
Live it up! Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.