Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How many deer do you all plan on killing? >

How many deer do you all plan on killing?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many deer do you all plan on killing?

Old 09-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default How many deer do you all plan on killing?

I am going to go for 5 mature deer bucks or does this year that should keep my freezer full,last year I took 3 deer and picked up a decent 185 pound buck freshly hit on the highway,and today I have 4-6 pounds of meat left in the freezer with 2 weeks to go until season so 4-5 deer is all I need a year.

Does anyone else pick up the road kill,I have a police scanner on during the rut so I know when and where a deer is when a car hits it 70% of the time there is no major damage to the meat,I cant stand to see meat go to waste and dont hesitate to load up a fresh road killed deer.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I kill one deer per year, and feel lucky when I get it. This is because, to me, to kill more than one seems to be game hogging.
I say this not to inflame others, but that I started hunting in Minnesota, and there you are allowed one deer per year, no matter the season or method of kill (bow, rifle, muzzle loader).
I now live and hunt in Wis. and in some areas, here we are allowed to take more than 1 animal, though somehow it just feels wrong to me, given the population goals of my new home state.
As well as the policies of our DNR, in attempting to achieve those goals.
I will pick up fresh road kill if given half a chance.

Last edited by sconnyhunter; 09-11-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

We are allowed 5 each in Virginia but with me and my son we will take about 4 a year for us and then look at the cams to see what we need to do. I only have young bucks on cam this year so it may end up a doe only year on my land. Some years it cull bucks and does only. Just depends.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Spike

I'm gonna try for six deer total and four with the bow. Last year I got three with the bow and two with the rifle. If I get more then great. There's a lot of people I know who beg me for deer meat every year so nothing will get wasted.

Last year between me, mom, and dad we got 15 deer. Dad got nine and mom got one. I only kept one of my small deer that I shot last year and gave the rest away.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

Last year I shot a nice buck on Halloween and gave it to a lady at work who had been asking for a deer since I had some left in the freezer and had an additional archery tag and 3 muzzleloader/shotgun tags. Well, the 5 chip shots I passed on opening morning of gun season were the LAST DEER I SAW all season. The button buck my wife shot with a shotgun ended up being the only deer in my freezer last season.

I never PLAN on shooting anything, but I would really like to put at least one mature doe and a buck in the freezer this fall. Good luck to y'all!

rw
Old 09-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

I am getting my wife into deer hunting this year so I hope to get at least one deer apiece. I really hope to get one with a bow, blackpowder and rifle this year. That is my own personal grand slam.

I shot 3 last year but one got away from me. I really hate that and it has only happened to me twice now. I have scoped my blackpowder gun to avoid having that happen again.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

I hope to take at least one, either buck or doe with my crossbow. Hopefully I'll get one with my 50 cal. CVA rifle. And I hope to take a very nice buck, (8 pt. or better) with my 30-06. And as many big does as legally possible. We have so many does in my hunting areas and most hunters will not shoot them. I usually keep a few for my family and give the rest to friends, family and neighbors. No meat ever goes to waste.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Spike

Here in Arkansas this year we are allowed to tag five deer, two of which can be legal bucks ( legal must have both antlers shorter two inches or have three or more on one side of his rack). I tagged four deer last year, still have two in freezer. As always I say I'm not going to as hard as in the past but do. Good luck and good shooting.

Waymon
Old 09-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

We'll fling arrows till were out of tags and the freezer is full. I just don't like more than one at a time to cut up. Between the two of us we'll probably shoot 4-6 doe's and bucks if there big enough here at home.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Spike

I'll take as many as legal, usually keep one for myself. I give all the rest away to friends or to the hungry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.