Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting/Scouting Pine forest

Old 09-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Spike

Default Hunting/Scouting Pine forest

I now have access to a large tract of pine forests to hunt. The problem is I have a hard time scouting and find deer signs in pine forest. I also can not understand why deer reside in these areas as there is not "traditional" food sources such as white oaks ect..

Why do deer like pine forests and what should I look for to narrow down my search? I know this is a broad questions but without oaks, even in the bottoms, I am at a loss on where to begin the search.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

alot of time's in a pine forest you can find small saplings with rubs, first indicator. next you should be able to see a well used path or two, look for rut's in the needles on the ground. next throw out some corn, even if illegal to bait just throw it out and monitor the sitiation. your just feeding right.