Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

unethical hunting

Old 09-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default unethical hunting

did you all know that the boone and crockett club considers extream
long range shots at game is unethical,,and therefor not eligable for entry into the record books...how many hunters out there think you should be takeing long range shots at game over 1000 yards...
Old 09-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

this is not being aguementive or swearing in anyway shape or form so lets see how long it is befor im threatened again
Old 09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Spike

Over 1000 yards is a lil extreme, however if you can hit a pie plate at over 1000yds every single time and feel comfortable with it then by all means take the shot... I personally would never take a shot that far out...
Old 09-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

like woody said, if you can consistently do it than do it up...but if you can't...dont take a chance to wound an animal.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:50 AM
Typical Buck

I shot 1000+ yards with my .50 Cal all the time consistantly hitting a six inch target. But I would never use it on an animal nor would I ever take a shot that far out with a hunting rifle, thats a tad far in field conditions.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

There's a few good men out there that can make those shots regularly but most don't have a clue and even if they got lucky once it's nothing that should be promoted to the novice shooter. But I don't think there should be a yardage limitation. There's a lot in the books that killed by not so ethical means that slipped through the cracks. What about these world records that were killed decades ago that came to light recently like the Arizona elk killed in the 60's. Who says the guy didn't poach that bull in the first place. Some old farmer out feeding cows in March and the stands a big bull. We have enough rules. If they are going to do anything separate the ones taken on public land vs the ones taken on private land.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

the fact remains that it doesnt matter how good a shot someone is ,takeing shots at game is not only foolhearty it is unethical...we dont hunt with 50 cal barrett rifles nore do we hunt in pefect windless days...one gust of wind ,,one tweak of your form and you have a badly wounded animal that will suffer for days on end, and what if peta gets ahold of this kind of thing...they would have a feild day with look at this...as hunters we have the duty to dispatch our game in a quick clean harvest...we all know this doesnt always happen,,but why should we take chances like this...game animals are not pie plates the move and breathe..a 30-06 150 grn psp bullit
traveling at 2820fps drops 522.85 inches at 1000 yards when zeroed at 100 yards.thats 43.57 feet...so this shows you whats involved at long range shots,,,national match shoots in little rock uses 36 inch bull eyes at 1000 yards..3 ft bullseyes. fyi

Last edited by vermont bowhunter; 09-08-2010 at 04:43 AM. Reason: not finished
Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what is the yardage cutoff for "ethical"?
Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by vermont bowhunter
the fact remains that it doesnt matter how good a shot someone is ,takeing shots at game is not only foolhearty it is unethical...we dont hunt with 50 cal barrett rifles nore do we hunt in pefect windless days...one gust of wind ,,one tweak of your form and you have a badly wounded animal that will suffer for days on end, and what if peta gets ahold of this kind of thing...they would have a feild day with look at this...as hunters we have the duty to dispatch our game in a quick clean harvest...we all know this doesnt always happen,,but why should we take chances like this...
I never implied that I hunt game with the .50. I'll put it in black and white for you. I have the ability to take that shot at that distance, but I choose not to with any weapon.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
So what is the yardage cutoff for "ethical"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.