Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun Ammo.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Spike

Default Shotgun Ammo.

Please post best and worst ammo you have ever used for Shotgun hunting. we are gonna figure out what is the best ammo out there from the hunters own mouth. The purpose of this thread is to post what ammo you have used and your thoughts on it weather it was GOOD, BOD or just UGLY.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Spike

Default My favorite type of ammo.

My favorite ammo just for the action on contact is the Lightfield Hybrid EXP. They expand to twice there normal size and throw all the kinetic energy into the prey. For accuracy and penetration with kinetic drop i would have to the Hornady SST would do the deal. Both are very good shells. This ammo are for Rifled barrels of course the Lightfield can be used in straight bore guns as well. The Hornday can only be used in rifled barrels though.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

for my 12ga. I really like the Lightfield EXP 2-3/4", for my 20ga. I really like the Hornady SST 2-3/4"

Remember there is any best or worst ammo out there, shotguns are iffy, what works in mine may not work in yours even if we have the same model and gauge
Old 09-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My gun likes sabot slugs in the 1300-1650 fps range. I like them as cheap as possible. Winchester BRI style and Brenneke KO sabots work real well on deer, and are on the cheaper end of the scale.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Buckshot is for self defense only.
Slugs are for hunting only.
Each is devastating in it's own respect.
Just my .02...
Old 09-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Spike

12 gauge Hornady SST 2 3/4" shoot really well out of my gun
Old 09-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Without posting what kind of gun, what gauge, what barrel length or what kind of barrel I can't see this thread amounting to any kind of a scientific or factual summary.

THAT BEING SAID.

In my 12 gauge H&R USHs like Brenneke 3" Gold Mags and 2-3/4" Heavy Field Mags. They also shoot the Brenneke KOs pretty darn well too.

In my son's 20 gauge H&R USH he uses Brenneke 3" Mags.

I also have an old 12 gauge JC Higgins pump with an 18-1/2" smooth bore barrel that likes the old 2-3/4" Brenneke Rottweillers with the felt wad screwed on the back but my stock is low and they are tough to find. I don't even know if they make them anymore. So lately it has been shooting 2-3/4" KOs.

Then there is a Mossy 500 with a Remington cantilever rifled barrel. I think it is 24". It will shoot the 2-3/4" KOs pretty well but shines a bit better with the Remington Buckhammers.

In my experience I would practice with BUT NEVER EVER HUNT WITH Remington Sluggers. Too many brass and primer issues. IMO not reliable.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:55 AM
Typical Buck

Hornady SST's all the way in both my Remington and Ithica Deer Slyer. Out to 150+ yards, great load!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Got the new Savage 20 gauage. It loves Rem accu-tip 3 inch. Got it dialed in for 150 yards.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Havent shot much threw my NEF Ultra Slugster except Lighfield and Win BRI... Both shot great... I think that maybe the Win BRI shot just a tad better...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.