HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Whitetail Deer Hunting 101. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/329063-whitetail-deer-hunting-101-a.html)

SavageArms 09-03-2010 12:35 PM

Whitetail Deer Hunting 101.

Please post tips and tricks to bagging those elusive whitetail. From the simplest to the more seasoned ideas all are welcome. Lets create a forum full of ways to improve our time in the woods. Ask questions and post answers. The only question that is a stupid question, is the one that was not asked. So lets have it lets see if we can improve our time and the time of others within the woods oh how we the outdoors men/ladies love the wilderness.

Bloodsaw 09-03-2010 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by SavageArms (Post 3675529)
Please post tips and tricks to bagging those elusive whitetail. From the simplest to the more seasoned ideas all are welcome. Lets create a forum full of ways to improve our time in the woods. Ask questions and post answers. The only question that is a stupid question, is the one that was not asked. So lets have it lets see if we can improve our time and the time of others within the woods oh how we the outdoors men/ladies love the wilderness.

I have Many, i can think of but the # 1 tip i could give to ANYONE, would be SIT LONGER, dont look at the time every 3 minutes waiting for 9:30 or 10:00 AM or whatever time you usually get up. That makes time go slower, and if possible, sit longer, enjoy the woods, watch the birds
bugs, whatever...Deer do and will come they dont know they were supposed to walk out by 10 AM.... they walk when they are ready

PLUS as other hunters leave the woods sometimes they will pressure deer towards you:s4:

RugerM77.270 09-03-2010 01:28 PM

Keep the wind in your face.

Night Crawler 09-03-2010 01:46 PM

1-have confidence in your setup. there was a reason you put your stand in this area, hopefully it's because you found proof that a deer is using the trail.or food source, but remeber they don't alway's go the same route to the same place everyday.
2- be scent free, and you don't have to alway's worry about the wind in your face.

HardwoodHunter 09-03-2010 04:53 PM

SCENT ELIMINATOR! I can't stress it enough

noidurism 09-03-2010 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by RugerM77.270 (Post 3675546)
Keep the wind in your face.

except when peeing. lol!
walk heel to toe.
if you have to cough, cough through your grunt tube.
pick a spot and don't move.(for the most part)
don't rush your shot, if it's there,take it. if not,there's always next time.
keep the sun to your back. (when possible)
be patient.
don't shoot the first deer you see. wait, there might be more behind it.
have fun and enjoy your time hunting.

kswild 09-03-2010 06:13 PM

Practice, Practice, Practice. Whatever your weapon of choice is, shoot it till it hurts. Know where it hits and do it consistently. More than anything else proficiency with your weapon is the #1 tip. If your weapon is an extension of you, hunting deer is easy. Knowing your weapon is the best tip I know of....
Live it up! Doug

SWThomas 09-03-2010 09:28 PM

All of the stuff already mentioned is great advice!

My only contribution would be to get out in the woods as often as you can. It's never a wasted trip even if you don't see so much as a bird or squirrel. You'll learn something every time you go afield.

Edcyclopedia 09-04-2010 04:21 AM

Beware of your movement!

The deer will see you three times as often as you will see them, as they come in from ALL Angles...
Remember the only predictable thing about a deer is that they ARE Unpredictable! Swatting mosquitos and bending your legs to keep comfortible are a neccessary evil, So Beware

Picture your self walking in the woods and the times you were startled by an Owl or Hawk you never saw in a tree. UNTIL it Moved!!!

How many times have you had a deer walk into your setup and didn't notice them UNTIL they were @ 20 yards??? Chances are you were pretty stabile. What if you weren't stabile? Then you never knew WHAT could have come in because you were picked off @ 50 or 60 yards - oops:s201:

Darn mosquitos:s9:

PY Antlers 09-04-2010 06:28 AM

If it's mature bucks your after, allow yourself time before season to scout the area, cause you can't kill him if he's not there. Like someone else said scent control is key, take every precation you can if your serious about having an opportunity at the boss.