Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer lure's Vs Cover scents

Old 09-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

I am going to way in on this by saying..... Everyone here has their own individual hunting experience. Most do what they learned from either watching TV or from other hunters. If you do something wrong while hunting...... the Game( deer,elk,bear,moose, whatever) will let you know! If what you do makes you feel good about your hunting experience no one should tell you not to do it. With that being said, If someone is ASKING your opinion on some thing you can say what you THINK. Why should I care if you use hunting products that are SUPPOSE to cover your scent? Only the makers and sellers of those products care. Personally I don't use them because I don't need them to get close to deer or have deer get close to me. This I have proof of. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWTfqYst_5E
What I'm saying is go do your own study in the field. It really doesn't matter what you think of what I do. So What I would like to see here is everyone STOP fighting about if they work or not. That's not the point, the point is.... if the person using them think they work for THEM. Good luck this hunting season!
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Spike

I do not use cover scent ,sometimes i'll a pin a rag to my jacket with doe in heat during the rut.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Spike

I religiously use coon urine as a cover scent. I often hunt from a tree and believe even a young inexperienced deer would suspect something was wrong if he/she scented a red fox from up in a tree. Coons are so ubiquitous that coon urine can be used nearly anywhere. I have harvested 46 deer in my life, including 3 bucks on opening day the past three years, all on public lands (US Forest Service) and all while using coon urine. I like to apply it to the trunk of the tree I am hunting from, and re-apply it about every 1-1/2 hours, especially in sub-freezing weather.

I don't have any faith in attractant scents. They are nothing but a scam to suck dollars out of your pocket. Think about it - if those little bottle of doe urine, doe in estrous urine, etc. were truly natural, as often claimed, how many thousand of penned up deer would these companies have to have to collect the quantities sold in a year. I have tried them in the past and can not honestly say I have ever experienced having had a deer attracted to my location because I was using such an attractant scent.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't use any. Sex scents may work at times but cover scents do not work. Ever. It's not possible. They do not help even a little. Stay clean as you can and hunt then wind.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a drag rag with buck urine and sometimes spray my boots also. During the rut, and I hang a scent wick with doe estrous near my stand. Also spray down my clothes with some scent eliminator. But I don't bother going to extremes as alot of products are marketing gimmicks and some may work to some extent, but nothing is going to be 100% when it comes to covering your scent. The best way to not get busted is set up according to the wind if you have multiple stands or spots.