Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Where is the best public land in Texas? >

Where is the best public land in Texas?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where is the best public land in Texas?

Old 07-08-2003, 09:45 PM

Default Where is the best public land in Texas?

Where can a out of state hunter go hunting in Texas on public land? That is worth trying to hunt deer?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2003, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Where is the best public land in Texas?

Man I would like to know the same thing about Illinois and everybody else would like to know in their homestate but I can guarantee you that if I knew I would not give my good spot away especially on the internet. But I guess at least you gave it a shot.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Troy I wish I could answer your question, but I will tell you that I have seen folks from texas complain about the lack of public land to hunt on in texas, hopefully some one will come on here and prove me wrong.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:24 PM

Oops this question was not for me to try to find Texas hunters secret hunting spot. If someone asked me about Arkansas I will tell you the names of the WMA' s here " Public land" not a problem, that doesnt mean that 500,000 acre WMA is my whole secret spot.

I thought it would be neat to hunt in Texas for deer, my brother works in Sherman TX and has several friends that ask him to go hunting in the area of central TX.. I guess I just need to get with him and his buddies, his buddy said where he goes it doesnt take much effort to get you a Buck in Texas..
Old 07-09-2003, 02:26 PM

I dont want to pick a state like MO,or ILL, to go hunt since I hate both of those states.....
Old 07-10-2003, 01:18 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

I can tell you this. The public land hunts here are for the birds. I hunted two areas and will not go back. They shoot at any and everything.
Both of these areas were so packed with hunters that I packed up and left.
My vote would be to look into a good ranch day hunt.
Good luck.

Rick
Old 07-10-2003, 10:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Since Texas , great state that it is , contains only about 3% public land I wish you luck finding some to hunt on . It will be ridiculously crowded if you do . You might want to ask your brother if he knows someone who will let you hunt on their land instead , but expect to pay a high lease fee .
Old 07-10-2003, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, there is quite a bit of public hunting land in Texas. National Forests are still open to the public, and there are hundreds of thousands of acres in Type II hunting (40dollar permit for the year.)
Now the bad part, most of these lands do not have a great deer population and there is a lots of hunting preasure on these properties! There are a few good bucks killed in these areas but, it' s not exactly what someone would want to travel from out of state to hunt! Especially considering the high cost of a non-resident licence!
Old 07-10-2003, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only hunt I have heard some good things about is the Aransas Pass national wildlife refuge (where the whooping cranes live in winter). Last I heard they only do bowhunts. Lots of hunters, but lots of deer. They used to let anyone hunt, but I think it is done by lottery of all who show up at the gate on the hunt date. Call them a check it out. Also, there are a LOT of mosquitos.

The only other suggestion is to apply to the limited public hunts. Call Texas Parks and wildlife and check it out. Applications are due in August. There are some really quality hunts, but some are hard to draw. Don' t know if they let nonresidents put in for the drawings or not. Kerr Wildlife, Daughtery, and Buck areas are several that produce very good deer every year, but almost all would offer a good shot at a decent buck due to the limited pressure.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Try the Davy Crockett National Forest in Houston County. They seem to have some monsters taken each year. Beware, it' s usually crowded and not all of them are " experienced" hunters. Can' t be more specific, I hunt private land to stay away from all the yahoos who come out of the woodwork in early deer season.

Quick Reply: Where is the best public land in Texas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.