HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What to do? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/328940-what-do.html)

doetrain 09-01-2010 04:55 PM

What to do?

These are sincere questions I'm asking and would prefer not to be blasted for asking them, so if you think I'm a non hunter for asking so be it,but please only answer it if you think they are reasonable ones. I saw two fawns moving toward my mineral and food spot where I have prepared a stand site. Their mother steped out a few minutes later and they went to feed. I'm strugling with wehther or not to shoot her if she comes through during the season with the two young ones in tow. My question is do you think they could survive without their mother being only 5 or so months old? Should I pass on a Doe with young fawns and wait for one without the fawns to care for? What have you done when faced with this choice,shoot or pass? The Doe was not more than 100 lbs as best I could tell. Your opinions and and expierence on this are welcome. Thanks

Rhody Hunter 09-01-2010 04:58 PM

The fawns will survive fine. shoot away . i would take them all out . more meat for the freezer.

BigDaddy12t 09-01-2010 05:04 PM

Its hard for me to say without being in that situation, but I think I would shoot.

sussexhunter 09-01-2010 05:05 PM

the fawns will survive. it sounds like you have a little hesitation in shooting her though. if it dont feel right then you dont have to shoot her and it does not make you less of a hunter. remember that just because you hunt an animal does not mean you have to hate it or always kill them. i have found a lot of pleasure from just watching deer at times. if you dont feel right about it and you push yourself to kill her, it might make you a little sour on hunting. i have killed a few does that still had milk in them. i know their fawns would survive but it was not the best feeling i can tell you that. bottom line, fawns will survive the choice is yours to make, no right or wrong.

PY Antlers 09-01-2010 05:11 PM

Those fawns will survive. I see it a lot and I have done it. As a matter of fact I have a 5 1/2 year old doe with twin fawns on the property now, and given the chance she's going to get taken out. The ol'Swamp slut chase's everything else away, especially the bucks.

mr.mc54 09-01-2010 05:30 PM

I arrowed a Doe who had fawns and I won't do it again. Them fawns called for their mom and just wouldn't leave me alone. I have never been so sad with a kill as that time. This is just my experience, not trying to say yea or nay on your post. Do what you feel is right.

They will survive!!!

Huntingtherut 09-01-2010 05:37 PM

You need to do what you feel is right. Everyone has their own opinion and will make a choice depending on the situation.
On that note, I will share a story.

A few years ago, I shot a doe with a fawn by her side right before dark. After getting up at dawn and going to look for her, I was stunned at what I found. The mother laid dead in the field and the fawn was laying by her side. My heart was broke, but she still tasted the same. Since then, I have watched a lot more does and fawns walk then I have shot. Good luck and have a great season!

Mojotex 09-01-2010 05:44 PM

My personal rule of thumb is to avoid taking a doe with fawn(s) at side until way down into the season. We often have a late January or even later breeding down this way. Not unusual to see spotted, nursing fawns well into November. In general, if the "yearlings" are not spotted, and I do not detect any nursing activity, and I need the meat, I'll shoot the doe.

noidurism 09-01-2010 05:47 PM

just listen to yourself!..........................

do what you feel or think is right!...................

Night Crawler 09-01-2010 06:01 PM

I've done it, really didn't bother me much I needed meat as I did not hunt the year b-4. I would personaly watch them for a few sittings but if she busts you she can not be trusted and will alert any new deer to your position. The fawns will be just fine