Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to do?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Well it's good to know that a few people have done the same thing, and feel the same way I do. About ten years ago I shot a doe with a fawn on opening day of gun season. It was the first week of November in Minnesota. I hit her high in the back and needless to say I had to finish her off with a second shot. Having the fawn watch this all unfold and taking forever to leave really bothered me for some reason. I wasn't worried about the fawn surving, but the whole situation along with my horrible shot gave me the worst feeling I've ever had has a hunter. I have not been able to shoot a doe with fawns since. I like vension, but I don't need the meat that bad and I do enjoy just watching them. So I guess to answer your question if there is chance you'll feel bad about shooting her I wouldn't. Like others have said the fawns will probably be fine if you do decide to take her. Hopefully I don't critized too much for this post!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by NCZ09
Well it's good to know that a few people have done the same thing, and feel the same way I do. About ten years ago I shot a doe with a fawn on opening day of gun season. It was the first week of November in Minnesota. I hit her high in the back and needless to say I had to finish her off with a second shot. Having the fawn watch this all unfold and taking forever to leave really bothered me for some reason. I wasn't worried about the fawn surving, but the whole situation along with my horrible shot gave me the worst feeling I've ever had has a hunter. I have not been able to shoot a doe with fawns since. I like vension, but I don't need the meat that bad and I do enjoy just watching them. So I guess to answer your question if there is chance you'll feel bad about shooting her I wouldn't. Like others have said the fawns will probably be fine if you do decide to take her. Hopefully I don't critized too much for this post!
off topic but I had to shoot a fawn one time that some jack arses hunting with an outfitter wounded. she came 200 yds to me limping and bleeding badly low front shoulder hit. I put her down and waited for the S.O.B. to trail her. well when he showed up he got an ear full for shooting a fawn and yes the poor thing still had spots. that aint cool in my book. 1.5 yr old doe best meat there is.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have probably shot does in the past that had younger fawns, but not any more. I don't need to shoot a deer that bad.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're from IN, so assuming you're hunting IN, you'll need to remove minerals and bait prior to the season (10 days prior I think). Just in case you were not aware.

As for shooting does with fawns, I have in the past but later on in the season. When you have does with fawns in your area, I think that's a sign that they live there and don't travel all that far. A doe is good buck bait, so why not let them hang around?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

Other does will tend to the fawns just fine. I tend to pass if mom has yearlings but we have lots of does where I hunt. Not to many people in my area shoot does. I'm a firm believer that you need to take does out to thin the herd.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I won't shoot a doe with fawns. Not saying I've never done it, I just won't do it now. I've been in the situation where in the past I have shot a doe and the fawn(s) would be right there by her. It bothered me then and it bothers me more now, so I will no longer do it. I have plenty of 1 1/2 yr. old does without fawns I can take.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Spike

As has alread been said, I think you have to let your concience be your guide. I personally don't shoot does with fawns until late in the season. There is no doubt the fawns will survive, it's just my personal choice.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Typical Buck

will you be hunting dureing the rut?the does will chase away their fawns as they are getting ready to breed again.the fawns will be fine as they are 5 months old.

Last edited by skinnnner; 09-02-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Thank you all for your input,it makes deciding on an issue a little easier when you get other peoples thoughts on it. I 'm going to pass on her due to the fact that there will more than likely be bigger and better targets throughout the season. One comment that was made about the Doe being a help to lure in a Buck or two was a good point. If she bust me and causes my hunting to get tougher then I'll reconsider her status as a possible target. The spot I have prepared is a good one and the reason I chose it is because last year a nice 8 pointer passed through every once in a while. There is a good chance he survived the season because I spooked him a week before bow season ended in January. Once again thanks to all for sharing your viewpoints and past decissions on this issue. Being a new hunter I've never been faced with this before.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Spike

It's your conscience like everyone said. Here is a little info for you though. I arrowed a doe last year with her twin fawns and a spike standing within 15 yds. A week later I saw those same two fawns running around with another doe and it's fawn. They stayed together right up till rut and I still see those deer running around to this day (albeit not together most of the time). They'll get along just fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.