Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

head shot. is it ethical

Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

I did it once when I was in my teens with a shotgun, hit the buck in his jaw. It took a second shot to kill the deer. Before that, Dad told me never to shoot the head, I was determined to prove him wrong. Never tried since then, never will as long as I continue to hunt.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

I would never take that shot but it is up to the shotter.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

No wonder I haven't been on here in a while!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

If there's no question in your mind you can hit the animal in the cranium, take the shot. Personally, I only take those shots at about 100 yds or less and with a good rest.

You also have to remember the head of ANY animal is the most animated so getting a still shot is difficult. IMO, it's up to you, but I don't like them and usually end up finishing a deer every couple years that has been shot in the snout or jaw.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

I had shot a doe last year in a swamp and I ended up getting a shot to high and hit her in the spine. She raised her head up a couple of times and I felt really bad. The only shot I could take was a head shot and it put her down.

I didn't like doing this, but under the circumstances I had no choice in the matter. This was the only time I had to take this kind of shot.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

to me its not a matter of ethics. i dont like when people try to inject ethics into hunting. everybody does things differently and thats fine with me, even thou some things might make me say WTF.....

whatever oh well.

If i new i could have a 100 percent one shot kill rate on deer with headshots id do it all the time. But if you have any brains atall you know its a piss poor shot, to go for the head, as far as success rate.
--------------------------------------------------------------
what situation is there were the only shot open on a deer is a head shot????????
--------------------------------------------------
Is he peeking over a brick wall at you or something?
Old 09-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Alpha Capo
to me its not a matter of ethics. i dont like when people try to inject ethics into hunting. everybody does things differently and thats fine with me, even thou some things might make me say WTF.....

whatever oh well.

If i new i could have a 100 percent one shot kill rate on deer with headshots id do it all the time. But if you have any brains atall you know its a piss poor shot, to go for the head, as far as success rate.
--------------------------------------------------------------
what situation is there were the only shot open on a deer is a head shot????????
--------------------------------------------------
Is he peeking over a brick wall at you or something?
Finally found someone here I agree with.
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

absolutlely not. we are not sniper's and we are talking about the fastest moving part on the animal. I always shoot just at the front shoulder and in the past 10 yrs with about 6-10 harvested every year I have only had 1 that did not drop in its track's and that was with a muzzleloader at 150yds in high winds. anyone that takes a head shot on a deer makes me sick to my stomach, thats very un ethical and dis-respectful to the animal we hunt.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
absolutlely not. we are not sniper's and we are talking about the fastest moving part on the animal. I always shoot just at the front shoulder and in the past 10 yrs with about 6-10 harvested every year I have only had 1 that did not drop in its track's and that was with a muzzleloader at 150yds in high winds. anyone that takes a head shot on a deer makes me sick to my stomach, thats very un ethical and dis-respectful to the animal we hunt.

Interesting...You'd take a 150 yard shot with a muzzleloader with high winds, yet say a head shot is not ethical...That slow moving muzzleloading bullet is awful when the wind gets up...
Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I so no. It's not ethical IMO. There's a lot more room for error in taking a vital shot. With a head shot, the deer going for a tic can be the difference between a dead deer and a blown off jaw/nose. NO ONE knows when the deer will decide to move it's head.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.