Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

head shot. is it ethical

Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by peeker
Have never taken that shot, never will. All it took was finding one deer that someone had taken that shot on, it had gangrene and had obviously suffered for a long time before it expired. It only had part of it's lower jaw left after it was shot. Just wish I had taken pics so I could post them.
I have also seen gut shot 3 legged deer that were wandering around field edge's but to sick to eat. What is the differance between that and a poor head shot. It's a common sense issue.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zaboo
i think that a head shot can and should be made if its the only shot presented and the marksman is good and confident enough to make the shot work .
dang dude...you make it sound like military op's ...
head shots are fine,
if you dont feel comfortable with em, then you shouldn't be doin it...
there was a time when i wouldn't take head shots,
as i got more comfortable with shooting, it naturally progressed to hittin em in the dead....i do teach my kids to aim big, so head shot is not in their vocabulary yet. and maybe will never be. they know im expectin double lungers.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot one deer in the head in 33 years of hunting. It was less than 10 yards from my tree, and looking up, right at me. I had the gun shouldered and was looking around, hoping other deer were following it. It was alone, and when I looked back to the deer, the sights were perfectly aligned between its eyes. Lights out.

I don't recommend a head shot unless the circumstances are perfect and the shooter is proficient.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

if youre good, why not? Some of the bigger game have to be shot precisely unless youre using a .50 cal sniper rifle or something... What happens if you dont kill it and it runs off?? It would be sad to hear 50 people calling you an unethical mofo for not making a kill shot. Is a lethal injection ethical? is the electric chair? Trust me, in most cases, a good head shot will put them down a hell of a lot faster than a lot of other things. So its up to you. Is it ethical? Sure. Why not?
Old 09-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I witnessed my cousin do one. It was the worst kill ever.Lucky for him the deer was in shock and he managed to dump it on the third shot. The head was plastered both eyes dangling from it's sockets. It was a seen from the Saw movies.Jaw was the first to go.Still can vision the bone fragments flying and brain mass flying. I shot one moose with three bullet holes through on paddle and a hole through the ear. Shot a deer that had a bullet Hole through it's ear.But I have seen some sad sad gut shots as well.Well it was a guy who shot a deer 13 times.I heard 1 shot ring out and he had a semi auto emptied his clip on it. Than He emptied his clip on it again. It was a shooting gallery for about 5 min.I met him on the way out that evening. He was pleased pleased
with his kill. I was happy he took the time to find it but disappointed that he was hunting and didn't have a clue how his gun was shooting.
The bottem line is if you take a shot your responsible for everything that bullet does until it stops.That is an ethical mind set to have. If
you sighted in your gun and you know how it shoots than chances are
better than not that the bullet hit the target somewhere, and the next thing to do is assume you hit it, and not just assume you missed.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 09-01-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it makes you feel good, do it. For me no, I can wait for a good shot or what I call a good shot.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

:e ek2::eek 2: :e ek2::eek 2: :e ek2::eek 2: :e ek2::eek 2: :e ek2::eek 2: :e ek2:.....................
Old 09-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think someone should make a thread "Is it ethical to take a head shot on a deer you baited in?" then we can get the two yearly arguments over in one thread. Use the search button and you can get 15 pages of useless arguements that change no ones mind really quick.

What are the predictions on how many pages this thread will get to this time? Im saying 12.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

Originally Posted by fastetti
I think someone should make a thread "Is it ethical to take a head shot on a deer you baited in?" then we can get the two yearly arguments over in one thread. Use the search button and you can get 15 pages of useless arguements that change no ones mind really quick.

What are the predictions on how many pages this thread will get to this time? Im saying 12.
Who cares how many people change their minds. Obviously it's got your curiosity.And I'm willing to bet your gonna be reading Every single one of these replies for the next 12 pages and probably reply to at least this one.A person can Google anything , the whole point of posting a topic is to get a bunch of HNI members perspectives.At least this topic will get some replies on an otherwise dead Hunting Forum.
I've got a suggestion why don't you post that thread.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 09-01-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Spike

What the hell is wrong with some people? Washington Hunters

Last edited by CascadeHunter; 09-04-2010 at 03:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.