Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mineral Licks?

Old 08-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Spike

Default Mineral Licks?

Bow season is coming fast and I haven't seen a lot of activity in my area. I'm thinking of starting a mineral lick in my area. My question is what products if any have you used and what results have you had. I'm leaning towards deer cane but would appreciate any feedback.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OldBucks&BigBass View Post
Bow season is coming fast and I haven't seen a lot of activity in my area. I'm thinking of starting a mineral lick in my area. My question is what products if any have you used and what results have you had. I'm leaning towards deer cane but would appreciate any feedback.
wrong time of year mineral licks good in late winter, throw out some corn, or look for acorns, lot's of natural browse in the woods this time of year also. but to answer your ? I use salt licks from ag supply and also I have peanut co. nearby and get a 1500#bag of peanut salt. they tear that crap up in the late season and early spring.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
wrong time of year mineral licks good in late winter, throw out some corn, or look for acorns, lot's of natural browse in the woods this time of year also. but to answer your ? I use salt licks from ag supply and also I have peanut co. nearby and get a 1500#bag of peanut salt. they tear that crap up in the late season and early spring.
Thanks night crawler, yeah i know it's a little late in the season but I figure it couldn't hurt. There is a good supply of acorns in my area and plenty of surrounding cornfields so maybe I will go more natural.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

I use trophy rocks all year long and they seem to work really good once the deer find them.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Spike

Started using deer cane in feb. Have had plenty of activity all summer. Probably gonna try something different next year. Want to find something with more minerals, such as magnesium, prospherous, and more calcium.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Spike

Lots of acorns in my area as well, so the deer are spread everywhere. So I decided to offer somethig different to perhaps bring them into a specific area. I decided to use sweet corn with molasses. Time will tell if this strategy works.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

i have heard once the acorns drop just about everything else is useless... i just picked up one of those acorn flavored salt blocks from walmart tonight.

i put a trophy rock out in march, checked it last weekend for the first time and it was in the exact same spot but was 1/4 the size i'm guessing from the rain? so i added a 50lb white salt block and i'm putting the acorn block out there sunday morning. i don't have a camera yet but i've had 3" of rain over the last few days, so i hope there will tracks all over the place out there. i might put the feeder back up too before the acorns fall, i just hate the 45 minute weekly drive when it's out.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:47 AM
Fork Horn

Make your own if you have the property to do so.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs.

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags, you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags, you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags, you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.