Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New deer hunter - suggesting for climbing stand & harness >

New deer hunter - suggesting for climbing stand & harness

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New deer hunter - suggesting for climbing stand & harness

Old 09-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone - lots of good information.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

I recommend Summit, don't skimp on a safety harness, go with Hunter Safety System.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Take the ol' man to the foot doctor! hahah
Old 09-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Summit makes great stands and they make a very good safty harness!!!

I think hunter safty system is over rated... But like everything that is sponsered by all the pros it will cost you a arm and a leg and not protect you any better than the summit...
Old 09-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

I've used everything from the old Baker and Amaker deer thief, remember those death traps guys? To some of the newer ones. My favorite is still the Api bowhunter. As far as a safety harness goes, good advice here so far. Buy the best you can. Buy a cheaper stand if you have to and get the best harness. Most of the time the cheeper stands are just as good but made of steel instead of alum. so they are just heavy but work just as well. Hope this helps and welcom to the addiction that is deer hunting.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Spike

Lone Wolf tree stands are hands down the best tree stands for the back packing hardcore walk three miles back hunter. Summits are extremely nice but are better suited for comfort.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Spike

I picked up a Summit Viper SS tonight. Total weight 20 lbs so I should be able to pack it in a ways. My day tomorrow (Sunday) is already accounted for bewteen the range in the morning and boat show in the afternoon, or I would try the stand out on a tree in the woods behind the house.

I do plan to climb several of my trees, several times each, and go through all of the motions of pulling up gear, etc., and using the safety harness that came with it, at least for now, until I get a better one.

The directions say no need to go higher than 15 ft. but I bet that many do go much hgher, especially since some ladder stands are taller than that.

New Marlin 45-70 arrives tomorrow, have molds, brass, powder, and everything else to start getting used to the new gun, and now a new climber. Life is good...

Last edited by ghh3rd; 09-11-2010 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added "until I get a better one. "