Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New deer hunter - suggesting for climbing stand & harness >

New deer hunter - suggesting for climbing stand & harness

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New deer hunter - suggesting for climbing stand & harness

Old 08-29-2010, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

You state some don't come with a harness ? I thought every one came with a harness
to limit liabitity and had to be TMA certified. some are more comfortable than others but they will do the job intended.The hunters safty vest is easy to put on and comfortable.
Summit makes a good comfortable climber. I would get a climber starting out . It is more versatile to move to other locations and can be taken in and out so it don't get stolen
Old 08-29-2010, 04:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wrong time to decide on a stand. You need to buy one in the spring and take the summer getting used to it. You have no idea what using ones like and they all act differently. You also want to buy a harness and use one and have no idea how to use one of those either.

Your asking for trouble. You'll be one confusion after another just getting to the top. Confusion kills. Maybe if you hunt out of the same tree all the time you'll get used to everything pretty quick, but that's just silly to do.

Climbers slip if you don't know what your doing not to mention few practice in bad weather, but they sure do hunt in it. Do you think drawing a bow on a climber is like standing in front of a target? It isn't and takes your whole body as a unit knowing exactly where everything is without seeing it. That takes practice.

I've borrowed stands away from home. I'm on pins and needle's and I climb all the time. Stands are not the same. As far as construction goes the summits are the beginners choice. Structurally very sound and the teeth grip well. Hard to not use right. Once you get some experience a lighter more compact climber will be wanted, but that means your sacrificing the above qualities. You'll be ready.

Get yourself a piece of plywood the size of the base and see how small a world you'll be standing on. Be sure and ad in all the straps and crap that will trip you up. People fall from carelessness, period. Careless people are careless with their equipment, Summits it seems create stands to compensate for careless people, but they can only do so much.

Put a small ball under the plywood and balance. That's what it's like on a stand. Now get all excited and try and shoot something. You think you can head out in to the woods, hang your butt 20 up and do that without pactice? Forget about it!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

you do nopt need all summer to get used to a stand that is bs. it is good to go up some trees though and practice a couple time before you head out. another good thing to do is measure out a small piece of rope for the length that you will be climbing, like 20 feet. tie it to your belt and the other end to your gun or bow. that way you dont bang your weapon up and you also dont have to worry about climbing with it. it will also give you an idea as to how far up you are. when you are starting 10 feet might feel like 20 feet. another thing to think of is if you are on a hill. you might be twenty feet up, but ten feet out you could be eye level with the deer, not good. try to think of this and where you think the deer will be travelling at. the last thing is a safety tip. when you are as high as you want to be, hold that tree, bend your legs and kinda shove down on your platform, that way if it is loose, you are prepared. you will figure that out the first time you go to turn around and it slips down five feet. also you should try practicing how you will shoot from your stand. nothing wrong with sitting for a shot. when you get buck fever 20 feet in the air and then try focusing on your sights, it is very easy to get dizzy.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sussexhunter
you do nopt need all summer to get used to a stand that is bs. it is good to go up some trees though and practice a couple time before you head out. .
That's B.S. For best results it should be practiced in the gear your going to wear with the gear your going to use starting with it packed on your back. Go from there to tree and up eliminating as many wasted moves as possible until you can do it in the dark.

When you can do it over and over the same way your good to go. Just figuring out how to pack it is a chore worth doing right.

All of it sleuthing your way in.

Personally I can get up a tree with 2 squirrels in each hand and 2 strapped to each foot but I'm unusual.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Summit openshot. just got one. it's less cumbersome than the viper. descending is a bit different, because there is no rail but with a little practice, it's still pretty easy.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Son, you've come at a bad time

Thousands of hunters are overweight, some grossly. Weight limits on stands are hitting 300 and 350 pounds; meaning a 180 lb. hunter has to carry nearly 10 lbs extra, from what they carried fifteen years ago.

No training on heights is part of the exercise. Every hunter, by an act of congress, can climb any height he wants.

They provide harnesses just so you can parachute from 12,000 feet, once they get into the tree. I never saw a mention of agility and balance. Of course, everyone knows that agility and balance is an innate talent of every American.

And you'll pay more to manufacturers, just so they don't get sued too much for incompetence. Tree stands can be bought by anyone.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Take the harness that comes with the climber you buy and toss it. Go buy the hunter's safety vest as many others have said. Summit stands are a good choice for beginners, but practice with all your gear many times before going out. You need to get comfortable judging the diameter of the tree (hunting height vs ground) vs cable length settings....as you climb the stand levels out based on the pitch you set it up while on the ground. If you set the stand level from the get go, you will have a negative pitch to your platform and will feel like you are falling out of the tree.

How fit you are should factor in your choice of stands. Not very fit, then get a sit and climb stand, fit, then go for a open face hand climber...summit open shot is a good choice but requires more muscle power to climb.

Always wear your harness while climbing and while in the tree.....be safe and good luck.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 08-30-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Spike

Default Summit

I have a summit and I love it
Old 08-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Spike

I have a couple of summits and I could die in em and I wouldn't fall out. Consequently I don't wear a safety harness in them but I have hangers that I obviously do wear them. I been thinking about one of those vests they look easy and comfortable which would make me wear it!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by anglingarchitect
I have a couple of summits and I could die in em and I wouldn't fall out. Consequently I don't wear a safety harness in them but I have hangers that I obviously do wear them. I been thinking about one of those vests they look easy and comfortable which would make me wear it!
Dude get a Hunter Safety System. of all things to not wear a harness in is a climber. $120 cheap life insurance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.