Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stupid huge urban buck

Old 08-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Spike

My neighbor and I have seen him multiple times in the same spot. I think he's been living there for years. By now I am gonna guess that he doesn't see people as a threat to his safety.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

have you ever tried to find out his travel routes going out of the city limits?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Spike

I don't think he could make it out of city limits. The city limits at closest is 3 miles away, ranging to about 10 miles away in the furthest spot. He would have to cross multiple high-traffic roads, as well as going through miles of highly populated suburban areas with no cover at all to get there. I really think this portion of woods is his home area. There is plenty of water, cover, and food there. There are tons of nut trees and grassy areas in this thicket. I would say it covers a 7-10 acre area. There is also 1 group of does and a few fawns populating the same wooded area.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

That would deffinately be hard not to hunt. I know how hard it is to live away from home and be stuck at school not able to hunt. I got lucky though and this year i moved into a house with a woods behind it that we can hunt. I know if i was in your shoes though itd be hard for the red neck in me not to come out and hunt him.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

What about a spear?

They can be very effective sitting in a treestand above the deer.
There are lots of people that hunt pigs with spears down here in the South and I know of some that have successfully hunted deer, elk, bear, etc... with spears.

Cold steel makes spears specifically for hunting big game.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Spike

I live close enough to home that I can venture back on weekends to hunt during the fall. I would rather hunt those IL deer anyway. Besides this exception, deer in the Southeast Missouri area are usually quite small. Back in So. IL farm country the deer are corn fed.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would definitely be hard not to hunt that buck. But having the will power not to break the law is what separates us from the poachers.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:30 AM
Spike

I'm just gonna let him be. If I shot him I wouldn't feel too great about it anyway. He may have a skewed sense of what a predator is and would probably be pretty easy to kill. Besides, if I shot him I would have to hide it. If I shot a hog like that I would wanna be able to show everyone!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

Where at in So. IL are you from?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

there is probably a creek in there that he is usin fer travel...no way he just stays in the small area you are speakin of...
time to put out some old school timers that tell you when somethin went by, someone help me here, it has a string, the deer crosses the path, the string lets go, and takes a record of the time...
you can probably see the trails he is using...so go for a walk, follow the trail, see which way he is goin in and out of your thicket..gotta hit a huntable area sometime!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.