Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Big Racks Craze

Old 08-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by StealthHtr22
Deer hunting now is not the same as it was in the seventies. My dad always said when he was growing up, especially around here, just bagging a deer was a good accomplishment. He said the herds just weren't as plentiful. You can make your own opinion about that...

I too think many hunters also have their own objectives when hunting. A lot od hunters, especially those new to the sport, will shoot anything. Many, like you Doetrain, just enjoy the woods, and bagging a deer for meat and pleasure. There is nothing wrong with that. But I don't care who you are, the majority of the human race is competitive. I think you'll find many guys go after trophy bucks for the challenge. I know I constantly try to look for more challenges in hunting, and in life itself. I know for me once, I was at the age & experience level that I had no problem getting deer with in range on a consistent basis, I became picky. It's a different type of challenge to pattern & kill a big mature buck.

Deer hunting is what you make it and what you enjoy...so keep enjoying it and until you decide to change your ways, keep doing what you're doing.
Nicely said. Killing a Big Buck is more of a challenge in most cases.

Killing a Big Buck on a Do It Yourself Hunt is also a great challenge. What you see on TV is not always real world hunting for most of us, so take what you see on TV with a grain of salt.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Trophy hunting" IMO really has nothing positive to deer hunting as a whole. If anything it is a negative.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by uncle matt
"Trophy hunting" IMO really has nothing positive to deer hunting as a whole. If anything it is a negative.
ding ding ding
Old 08-31-2010, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

can you plz explain?
Old 08-31-2010, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

I'll take a stab. "Trophy Hunter" never pulls the trigger but to shoot a Trophy male mature game animal. they never do herd mngmt. and also on the TV show's most of the time's those guy's do show herd mngmt, it's not all big rack's. I can't think of one show I watch that they don't pull the trigger on some does. I don't watch them all some just piss me off.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

plenty of trophy hunters practice QDMA, I think there is a myth out there that a hunter is overwhelmingly some rich white guy who books expensive outfitted hunts and only takes a monster...

even an expensive outfitted hunt doesn't mean you go home with a monster most times.

and many trophy hunters take does/cows for meat but pass on immature bucks/bulls.

In fact I would argue trophy hunters in many cases take more does than a lot of these so called hunters do, I know guys who will shoot the first buck they see, 1.5yo....dink, and feel like the man when they do! but take a doe? pssh they wouldn't think of it!
Old 08-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey uncle matt, what about the guys I hunt with here in northern New England that can only shoot one deer/year and they hunt the big woods, no crops, no fields, just miles and miles of woods owned by paper companies. Plus some of these woods have less than 10 deer/sq mile, yet they shoot no small deer for the meat, it's all about tagging that one bruiser. And yes, they go home empry handed some years after the season is over but it's the challenge of trying to kill only that mature, big old buck.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

and this is where I see it can get very opinioated. short season= small herd no real problem. yet where I am from we need to thin the herd, and I dont apreciate those trophy hunters we have 6 deer to harvest and 4 month's to do it. don't just start snapping off at the term "Trophy Hunter" I can understand if you don't quite understand the term. us as hunters have a duty to do what's needed for the herd's health an well being. if you have 10 deer per sq mile and only can kill 1 deer I would never shoot a doe either.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
plenty of trophy hunters practice QDMA, I think there is a myth out there that a hunter is overwhelmingly some rich white guy who books expensive outfitted hunts and only takes a monster...

even an expensive outfitted hunt doesn't mean you go home with a monster most times.

and many trophy hunters take does/cows for meat but pass on immature bucks/bulls.

In fact I would argue trophy hunters in many cases take more does than a lot of these so called hunters do, I know guys who will shoot the first buck they see, 1.5yo....dink, and feel like the man when they do! but take a doe? pssh they wouldn't think of it!
I agree with you complete statement, yet that's not what people are calling a "Trophy Hunter" do ya'll read these post's or just start slinging opinion's. I have stated what this "Trophy Hunter" term is being described as. yet I read post's that just show the lack of comprehension of the statement.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1

yes i agree,most trophy hunters do practice deer management,they do this so that they may have quality bucks to take in the future.most trophy hunters also are not trigger happy shooting young bucks before they can mature,im thinkingmost ppl that are against trophy hunting are guys that just dont have the skills or patiance to get a trophy so they turn around and say trophy hunting is bad just so that they may feel better about themselves for takeing the first thing they see,these ppl are not hunters.go to the store and save the hunting for the more experianced ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.