Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Big Racks Craze

Old 08-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good subject. I never put much stock in what I see in hunting shows. To me, they are infomercials and more time is spent on adds than the actual hunt. For the novice hunter, I rarely see anything that educated hunters on understanding the deer we hunt, how to be a better outdoorsman or coming up with a hunting strategy based on hours of scouting. Plus, what I see usually has nothing to do with the way we hunt here in NH.

I think most of trophy hunting depends on where you hunt. South Texas is known for their big racked bucks and hunters there probably focus more on shooting one of them vs any deer for the meat. That would also apply to other states/provinces. But here in New England we have very little in common with anything shown on these hunting shows.

To us, any deer is a trophy, whether it's a big old buck, a doe or a young buck. That's not to say folks that are true trophy hunters don't exist here, but from my experience, they are the exception not the rule and every hunters has that right to shoot any legal deer he wants. Also, most hunters I know that hunt up here see a trophy deer as a big bodied deer, bucks that dress at over 200+ pounds vs a big racked buck. Personally, I would rather shoot a nice 8 pointer that dresses over 200 pounds than a much bigger rack that dresses at 180.

Last edited by Jimmy S; 08-28-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think it's possible to be both big buck crazy and still a hunter/meat, take does....for meat, hold out for a quality buck...

do what pleases you though.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Thumbs down

My question to the OP would be ... why do you care what someone else hunts for? Why do some people always concern themselves with what others are doing. This thread boils down to this -- this is the way I do it, I can't understand why people want to do it differently. Whatever a persons reasons for hunting, that's fine with me. Because you hunt means we have something in common. I'm not going to try to tell you, when, where, why, how, what weapon, over bait or not, head shot, body shot, meat hunter, rack hunter. I say have a good time in the outdoors and good luck with whatever you hunt.
Live it up! Doug
Old 08-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
My question to the OP would be ... why do you care what someone else hunts for? Why do some people always concern themselves with what others are doing. This thread boils down to this -- this is the way I do it, I can't understand why people want to do it differently. Whatever a persons reasons for hunting, that's fine with me. Because you hunt means we have something in common. I'm not going to try to tell you, when, where, why, how, what weapon, over bait or not, head shot, body shot, meat hunter, rack hunter. I say have a good time in the outdoors and good luck with whatever you hunt.
Live it up! Doug
I agree with most of what you say, but the original question, IMO, related to hunting shows. I also agree with the original poster that it certaibly does focus on big old racks because that's what viewers want to see. Most folks would agree the emhasis on these shows is shooting a big rack buck. Plus, most are from a treestand overlooking a field or feeding ares where we get to see more deer in those fields than I see in an entire deer season here in NH. That's just the way it is.

I never confuse those hunting shows with the way it really is in the whitetail world.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Red face

Thanks for your input everyone.It was not my purpose to be critical of those of you who hunt trophy Deer,forgive me if I came across that way. My first question was when did this become the main focus of those who deer hunt,Is this a new attitude or has it always been that way? Second,being new to hunting I simply have observed on the shows a fixation on the Big Bucks and not a whole lot else. I would like to see all these fellow hunters spend a little more time teaching those of us who are new to the sport more techniques to make us better hunters. Some spend a few minutes doing this but as some have pointed out they promote their products for so much of the show all they have time to show is the shot and kill. I guess 30 minutes with all the commercials makes a teaching format hard to do so I'll have to get DVD's that have time to spend on insrtuction. I understand to a degree that the older Bucks and Does in my opinion are more of a challenge to hunt,they did'nt get big by being dumb. I'm new and will evolve in my attitudes and practices I'm sure just as many of you seasoned hunters have. I know what it is like to pass on lesser Bucks I've done it because it was early in the season and the shots would have been bad choices. But when my 7 pointer gave me a perfect shot I took it and it was a rush I'll never forget and I think missing that thrill could happen to some new hunters if they only wait for a monster Buck. Good hunting to all and thanks for your patience with us new guys.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
I think it's possible to be both big buck crazy and still a hunter/meat, take does....for meat, hold out for a quality buck...

do what pleases you though.
I agree. I don't think there's a person out there that wouldn't get excited by seeing a giant whitetail buck.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by doetrain
Thanks for your input everyone.It was not my purpose to be critical of those of you who hunt trophy Deer,forgive me if I came across that way. My first question was when did this become the main focus of those who deer hunt,Is this a new attitude or has it always been that way? Second,being new to hunting I simply have observed on the shows a fixation on the Big Bucks and not a whole lot else. I would like to see all these fellow hunters spend a little more time teaching those of us who are new to the sport more techniques to make us better hunters. Some spend a few minutes doing this but as some have pointed out they promote their products for so much of the show all they have time to show is the shot and kill. I guess 30 minutes with all the commercials makes a teaching format hard to do so I'll have to get DVD's that have time to spend on insrtuction. I understand to a degree that the older Bucks and Does in my opinion are more of a challenge to hunt,they did'nt get big by being dumb. I'm new and will evolve in my attitudes and practices I'm sure just as many of you seasoned hunters have. I know what it is like to pass on lesser Bucks I've done it because it was early in the season and the shots would have been bad choices. But when my 7 pointer gave me a perfect shot I took it and it was a rush I'll never forget and I think missing that thrill could happen to some new hunters if they only wait for a monster Buck. Good hunting to all and thanks for your patience with us new guys.
Now it's my turn to apologize for being a little harsh. I had no idea you were talking about hunting shows in general and not the real everyday hunting we do. You have really pointed out what makes it hard for beginners. They watch these so called hunting shows only to find a world that is totally different once they step into the field. Thank God I started before all the "hunting shows" of today came along, sorry to say most are garbage. You will do well if you can find a mentor who has hunted your area successfully. Learn all you can about you quarries habits, where they eat, sleep, where they travel and when. You want to set up your ambush coming from bedding areas or coming to or leaving their food source. Good luck!
Live it up! Doug
Old 08-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doetrain,I agree with You about the craze for Big Racks on TV but I don't think thats the attitude that most everyday Hunters have.Most of us that have hunted for several years and have shot many Deer try to let the smaller ones walk and hope for a nicer big bodied Buck to shot,if it happens to have a big rack then I would consider myself very fortunate to shot a nice size Buck,for the most part I am just as happy with a nice big mature Doe for the tender meat!I have more of thrill taking a youngster out on the Youth Hunt than I do hunting myslef...talk about a rush when a Young Hunter shots His or Her first Deer and teaching them the right and proper/ethical way to Hunt is more rewarding than anything I can think of!
Old 08-30-2010, 06:00 AM
Spike

I would wonder how successful it would be to produce dvd's or a tv show more less informational on hunting tactics and logic. Focusing on how to hunt private lands, how temp and weather really effect deer. I am not by any means "new" to hunting after 18 seasons but then again I saw my grandpa come home holding only his 30-06 from an Iowa corn field after 60 years of hunting and admit he got out smarted.
I think instead of pushing a knife that guts, capes, glows in the dark and makes peanut butter and jelly sandwiches while being odor free, we would really help out a new hunter by teaching deer habits and habitat. What they shoot and put in the freezer is up to them.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

im a trophy hunter,the reason for that is if i just wanted some deer steaks the season would be over the same day it started what fun is that?might as well go to the store.second its harder to bag a big buck then to just shoot anything.it makes me wonder are some of these so called meat hunters just guys that dont have the patience to wait for a big guy?not saying all are that way,but i suspect some are.third,iv heard ppl say well u dont eat the rack,no u dont but that buck also comes with the meat,yes i know it might not be as good as a young bucks meat but most of my deer go to sausage anyways so it makes no diffrence.and finally,after years of takeing younger animals i decided to up my challange a bit.i say do what ever floats your boat!im all for management also,i have taken lesser animals out before for the benifit of the herd,but we dont have alot of bad genes around here so its not a big issue.we are allowed to take a buck and a doe here so as for buck to doe ratio,it doesnt effect it.i know someone will get their panties in a knot at my comment and thats ok to each their own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.