HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/328531-baiting-without-bait-its-illegal-here.html)

phil_pick 08-26-2010 09:25 PM

Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here)

Hey guys. I need some legal ways to bait deer. I BOW hunt in southern WI where it's illegal to bait deer, but I hunt a farm with corn and bean fields that are 100 x 300 yards. The deer just never seem to follow and set trails seeing as the fields are rotated so its always a crap shoot when choosing the stand to hunt out of. What are some LEGAL tips or tricks you guys use to attract deer when "bait" is illegal? A food plot is out of the question but any other ideas would be great.

timbercruiser 08-27-2010 04:47 AM

Other than glassing the fields to see the best probabilities of the trails the bucks are using and having a good wind favorible access routes to your stands there isn't much else you can do. Calls/decoys may or may not work. One thing I would try is to offer to pay the farmer to leave a few spots of standing corn/beans in your favorite areas. It wouldn't take much, just six or so rows 30 yards long and that should help concentrate the deer.

sussexhunter 08-27-2010 05:55 AM

if its on private land you could always drop a little molasses on some of the plants in the field and it will help. not all the way legal though. that is a stupid law. maybe someone on here knows the reason for it, id be interested to hear.

CamoCop 08-27-2010 06:00 AM

try hunting with a climber, this way you can stay mobile and move when you need too.

Gunplummer 08-27-2010 07:25 AM

I don't know what constitutes bait in your state, but some of the trapping lures I used years ago brought deer in. Vanilla and even fox in heat lure pulled them in. Like I said, I don't know whats legal in your state.

SJAdventures 08-27-2010 08:35 AM

If possible try building some funnels areas.

Frosty452 08-27-2010 10:23 AM

They ban it to stop the spread of desease from deer eating in one area cwd I think. But try some ansie oil or vanilla. I don't know if it works everywere but I had luck with charcol lighter fluid found that out by accident last year I spilled some on my boots and had a doe follow my traill righht to my stand

StealthHtr22 08-27-2010 11:05 AM

Time and experience to become a better hunter...you don't need bait.

Gladius87 08-27-2010 04:00 PM

I would agree with StealthHtr22. I have been hunting Southwestern Illinois for 8 years now and have no control over the crop rotation on the land I hunt. You just have to see how the deer pattern for a few years before you figure it out. In my spot I know how the deer will move if one field is corn and the other is beans or vice versa.

sussexhunter 08-27-2010 05:11 PM

damn frosty. i feel like an idiot. what an obvious and valid reason. dont know why i never thought of that. learn somethin new everyday