Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here) >

Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here)

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here)

Old 09-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by *twodogs*
There is a very big difference here in terms of the concentration of animals per square foot of feed area. Dumping 2-3 bags of corn in one general area promotes many deer feeding from that 1 area let's say there are 15 different deer eating the pile of corn you put out.

Now take those same 15 deer and put them in a 10 acre field of corn, it is not likely that they will feed from the same plant because of the sheer size of the feed lot. Research has shown that feeding promotes disease - Chronic Wasting Disease is one of them.
I honestly have never seen more than 2-5 deer, and the same deer at my bait setups. just sayin I see your point of 15 deer on a 10ft sq. feed area.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

first off i dont think these wierd things you guys think deer are attracted to...they are just curious...they have never ever i mean ever smelled the things you guys are talking about...full camo and a ghillie suit stalker style
Old 09-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sussexhunter
if its on private land you could always drop a little molasses on some of the plants in the field and it will help. not all the way legal though. that is a stupid law. maybe someone on here knows the reason for it, id be interested to hear.
It's my understanding that we can't feed deer (in Illinois) because they don't want the deer to be "swapping spit" on mineral licks and feeding areas due to the spread of Chronic Wasting Disease.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Spike

Spend as much time scouting and hanging/moving stands as you do trying to CHEAT, and you will probably be just as successful. By cheating, I mean where it is illegal. If baiting is legal, more power to ya.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the discussion guys. Yeah it's the whole CWD crap that they are throwing at us. I know it's a real disease but the DNR are going crazy with it. You can now legally kill 6 deer per day... Every day of the season... Needless to say, if I see 10 deer for the season than it's been a great season. This makes it realllllly hard to get a pattern on the deer. I have 4 cameras out trying to see where, when, why, and all the rest but when you have a cam out for three weeks and you get 4 pictures it's just tough. I dislike the idea of baiting and when I go up north I never have to bait. But when I am down here it's just a crap shoot as to where they are guna go...
Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Spike

Kinda sucks for us too. I don't know that CWD has been reported this far south...but maybe these rules are why...LOL

I would love to have the option to bait, mainly on my trail cam sites, but I'm lucky enough to hunt land in both Fulton and Brown Counties so baiting isn't really a necessity.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why it seems I have struck a nerve with NightCrawler. I don't know anything about hunting in North Carolina, and I doubt that you know anything about hunting here in the north woods of Wisconsin.

In response, yes, I have hunted a Pine thicket. I have hunted swamps to dense that ticks cant move in there. Your not alone in your ability to navigate dense underbrush. Where you are alone is that I am a better hunter for not ever using bait.
I find the deer, on their own terms, in their bedrooms. Sometimes I 'm successful, sometimes I'm not.

Yes, it is my opinion that baiting is cheating, and Yes it is my opinion that t should be illegal nation wide. Yes, it is my opinion that it is unethical.

Here is some light reading regarding baiting issues. Primarily here in the upper midwest.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...otATTA&cad=rja