Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here) >

Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here)

Old 09-10-2010, 04:09 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jakelogsdon
Very rarely will a mature buck meet his demise over a pile of bait, especially if he has been pressured at all. I would put in some more time and try to cut him off coming back to bed in the a.m. Don't just assume that because baiting is illegal it must be effective. It is extremely overrated and usually conducted by less educated hunters.
agreed there are other way's and yes way better sure places to find in the wood's to kill a buck. but all your other blah,blah is pure BS we kill 3-4 mature bucks a year on my farm over a corn pile. us less uneducated hunters here just use it to stop the deer so we can take a nice long look at it b-4 we harvest the animal. You may want to watch how you word crap Jack as I know people that have been hunting twice as long as you are old.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
You may want to watch how you word crap Jack as I know people that have been hunting twice as long as you are old.
Thanks for the reply there good sir. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. To each his own. I was offering my opinion. I have seen mature deer killed over piles of corn plenty of times. I'm glad you can pull it off, however I was simply trying to shed some light to our fellow hunters who happen to live in areas where baiting is illegal. Also glad to hear you know people who have been hunting for twice as long as i am old. Don't really know what that has to do with anything.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jakelogsdon
Thanks for the reply there good sir. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. To each his own. I was offering my opinion. I have seen mature deer killed over piles of corn plenty of times. I'm glad you can pull it off, however I was simply trying to shed some light to our fellow hunters who happen to live in areas where baiting is illegal. Also glad to hear you know people who have been hunting for twice as long as i am old. Don't really know what that has to do with anything.
just refering to us un-educated hunters that use bait to kill deer. basicaly you stated my 67 year old grandfather that hunts over corn, for 40yrs and kills a nice buck about every 2 years doesnt know what he was doing. Sorry for snapping just took it to heart. you are 100% right you don't need an un natural attractand to kill a deer.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

I should have chose my words better. Instead of saying "usually conducted by uneducated hunters", I should have said "Hunting over bait is usually the first thing uneducated hunters attempt".
Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will try to offend.

Baiting is cheating.

It is Unethical and should be Illegal, nation wide.
It leads to the spread of disease among not just deer but all wild animals that come in contact with the unnatural food source. The sole reason that it is continued is to provide a secondary source of income for suppliers.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by phil_pick
Hey guys. I need some legal ways to bait deer. I BOW hunt in southern WI where it's illegal to bait deer, but I hunt a farm with corn and bean fields that are 100 x 300 yards. The deer just never seem to follow and set trails seeing as the fields are rotated so its always a crap shoot when choosing the stand to hunt out of. What are some LEGAL tips or tricks you guys use to attract deer when "bait" is illegal? A food plot is out of the question but any other ideas would be great.
Above is the OP. Next is the pertinent text from the 2010 Wis. Deer Hunting Reg.

"In areas where deer baiting is not allowed, what CAN I USE to attract deer
closer to my stand if I can’t use bait?

Use of the following are legal statewide:
• Decoys
• Scents
• Naturally occurring material (such as acorns), deposited by natural vegetation, that
is not collected and relocated in any manner.
• Crops planted and left standing as wildlife food plots.
• Material deposited solely as a result of normal agricultural or gardening practices
and not collected and relocated for hunting or other purposes.

What exactly is considered bait?
Bait is any material that is placed or used to attract wild animals, including scent
materials, salt, minerals, grains, etc. Water is not considered bait.

Can I still place out salt or mineral blocks or similar material?
In counties where baiting and feeding of deer is prohibited, no. These materials are considered bait and are not legal. "
Old 09-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
I will try to offend.

Baiting is cheating.

It leads to the spread of disease among not just deer but all wild animals that come in contact with the unnatural food source. The sole reason that it is continued is to provide a secondary source of income for suppliers.
your attempts at being offensive suck, and really show that your an ass for starters. 1) whats the differance of corn or peanuts I spread out all over the ground, or a planted field the same deer eat and most likely come in contact woth the same plant and swap spit. and 2) most areas that allow baiting the woods are so thick we can not hunt. You ever hunt a pine thicket? no so f off. and also the states that allow baiting have a deer population problem and we do what ever it takes to get it down, unlike where you are from our quota is 6 deer a year and we can get extra tags. there is no biologist report that says baiting deer causes disease any more than natural grown crops. SO GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Night Crawler
whats the differance of corn or peanuts I spread out all over the ground, or a planted field the same deer eat and most likely come in contact woth the same plant and swap spit
There is a very big difference here in terms of the concentration of animals per square foot of feed area. Dumping 2-3 bags of corn in one general area promotes many deer feeding from that 1 area let's say there are 15 different deer eating the pile of corn you put out.

Now take those same 15 deer and put them in a 10 acre field of corn, it is not likely that they will feed from the same plant because of the sheer size of the feed lot. Research has shown that feeding promotes disease - Chronic Wasting Disease is one of them.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
I will try to offend.

Baiting is cheating.

trying to offend some of us you say now why would you want to? did you? nope, not even close. baiting is cheating - just your opinion. it is unethical -lmao on that one. should be illegal nationwide - just your opinion. the rest of what you said - i say prove it. i know you won't be able too, cuz there is none! LMAO on your post.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by noidurism
the rest of what you said - i say prove it. i know you won't be able too, cuz there is none! LMAO on your post.
Read this report then decide for yourself:
www.cwd-info.org/pdf/FeedingDeer.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.