Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here) >

Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here)

Old 09-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Angry

Originally Posted by unbridled
You might ask Mr. Nugent his thoughts. I'm sure he might have an idea what happens when you push the limits.
I know a bunch of guys, including myself, who don't care much what that phony thinks or does. Just about everything he does is to further his finacial situation. Now that ain't bad in of itself, but the man is of questionable character or honor.

Why don't you ask him what he did back in the sixties when me and my buddies went to VN??? When you find out then maybe you will know what a phony this guy is when he talks about how much he supports the troups.

Sorry for the rant, but you brought up a sore subject for me. I apologize.

Last edited by rafsob; 09-03-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Spike

Apples, deer love em. We have an apple tree on our farm and the deer are always eating the apples that have fallen off the tree.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunterhess33
Apples, deer love em. We have an apple tree on our farm and the deer are always eating the apples that have fallen off the tree.

That would be baiting.
Most likely mineral and things like comeere deer would be as well if baiting is not legal. Figure out the regulations and learn to hunt within them rather then looking for ways to skirt them.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
That would be baiting.
Most likely mineral and things like comeere deer would be as well if baiting is not legal. Figure out the regulations and learn to hunt within them rather then looking for ways to skirt them.
Are you kidding me. Since when does it become bate when an apple tree drops it's fruit???

Now I have heard it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by phil_pick
Hey guys. I need some legal ways to bait deer. I BOW hunt in southern WI where it's illegal to bait deer....
Why are you even asking this question if it is illegal, your inviting trouble.

Get out there and scout, determine, based on crop rotation where the funnels are this year and set up off of one of those, have a few stands near by so you can hunt the wind. I have the same issue as baiting is not allowed in my state - lived in TX for many years and never hunted over bait, just doesn't sit well with me but others don't mind.

IMO, if you put in the scouting work, and you end up with a deer, you are going to be much more satisfied with your outcome than sitting inside trying to figure ways around the regs.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 09-09-2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rafsob
Are you kidding me. Since when does it become bate when an apple tree drops it's fruit???

you didn't know that? can't hunt corn and bean fields either. Ya'll are going to jail for huntin over bait. oh no oak tree's thats a double whammy
Old 09-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Spike

This is being overanalyzed. On the land I hunt, there is no apple trees so an apple laying on the ground would be a little out of place. There is corn nearby. But how did this big pile of corn get into the middle of the woods.

Now I may take an apple to eat with me, but it ain't leaving my blind
Old 09-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

apple eaten-n-thrown down vs. apples falling on their own.......................very good ?.........couple/few okay! more baiting(imo)..........if it's legal, GO FOR IT!!!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob

Sounded like he he was suggesting using apples - not hunting over ones fallen from a tree. The first would be baiting - the latter would not.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Very rarely will a mature buck meet his demise over a pile of bait, especially if he has been pressured at all. I would put in some more time and try to cut him off coming back to bed in the a.m. Don't just assume that because baiting is illegal it must be effective. It is extremely overrated and usually conducted by less educated hunters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.