Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here) >

Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here)

Old 08-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would just scout as much as you can and try to pattern the deer as much as you can. Other than that, just pick a corn/bean field and cross your fingers. It's called hunting, not killing. Sometimes you strike out.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Spike

I am rdy to try acorn rage, gonna put it out in front of the cameras first to see how they react to it.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kingobeet
I am rdy to try acorn rage, gonna put it out in front of the cameras first to see how they react to it.
I've tried it and the deer and hogs really like it. They didn't even touch the other greens enraged stuff.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Frosty452
They ban it to stop the spread of desease from deer eating in one area cwd I think. But try some ansie oil or vanilla. I don't know if it works everywere but I had luck with charcol lighter fluid found that out by accident last year I spilled some on my boots and had a doe follow my traill righht to my stand
Baiting is a way of life in Texas, has been for years. We have more deer in places than they know what to do with. We've never had a disease problem. I wonder if they have more concern than necessary?
And as for "becoming a better hunter", there are a dozen reasons why baiting is done here, having to do with private land leases, contracts limiting "still hunting' for liability reasons and a very thick terrain that someone in Indiana can't comprehend.
Six months of summer and 60" of rain a year tend to make the woods very thick. Without bait it's just hard to even SEE the deer around here. No agriculture to speak of and mostly pine timber country.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:23 AM
Spike

I have never used bait. Never will. Washington Hunters

Last edited by CascadeHunter; 09-03-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

"If possible try building some funnels areas." SJ

Cut some brush and block off a few of the other trails, to cut down on their options.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by CascadeHunter
I have never used bait. Never will.
That's great, now tell us about the methods you do use to hunt.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

If you could make funnals that would help.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Spike

You could check the regs closely, some areas allow supplements, such as mineral blocks or dumping of minerals. But dont push it to close getting fined and such is a lot worse than not killing deer. As others stated scout the area as much as possible deer are creatures of habit, if you watch them enough youll get theier patterns down.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

You might ask Mr. Nugent his thoughts. I'm sure he might have an idea what happens when you push the limits.

Beyond that, you might check out the regs as close as you can to see what they define as bait. Liquids that can be smelled and applied to existing food might be OK. I've never hunted over bait and rarely use scents.

Maybe, buy a cow and feed it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.