Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here) >

Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here)

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here)

Old 08-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Baiting without the "bait?" (It's illegal here)

Hey guys. I need some legal ways to bait deer. I BOW hunt in southern WI where it's illegal to bait deer, but I hunt a farm with corn and bean fields that are 100 x 300 yards. The deer just never seem to follow and set trails seeing as the fields are rotated so its always a crap shoot when choosing the stand to hunt out of. What are some LEGAL tips or tricks you guys use to attract deer when "bait" is illegal? A food plot is out of the question but any other ideas would be great.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Other than glassing the fields to see the best probabilities of the trails the bucks are using and having a good wind favorible access routes to your stands there isn't much else you can do. Calls/decoys may or may not work. One thing I would try is to offer to pay the farmer to leave a few spots of standing corn/beans in your favorite areas. It wouldn't take much, just six or so rows 30 yards long and that should help concentrate the deer.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

if its on private land you could always drop a little molasses on some of the plants in the field and it will help. not all the way legal though. that is a stupid law. maybe someone on here knows the reason for it, id be interested to hear.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

try hunting with a climber, this way you can stay mobile and move when you need too.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know what constitutes bait in your state, but some of the trapping lures I used years ago brought deer in. Vanilla and even fox in heat lure pulled them in. Like I said, I don't know whats legal in your state.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If possible try building some funnels areas.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Spike

They ban it to stop the spread of desease from deer eating in one area cwd I think. But try some ansie oil or vanilla. I don't know if it works everywere but I had luck with charcol lighter fluid found that out by accident last year I spilled some on my boots and had a doe follow my traill righht to my stand
Old 08-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Time and experience to become a better hunter...you don't need bait.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:00 PM
Spike

I would agree with StealthHtr22. I have been hunting Southwestern Illinois for 8 years now and have no control over the crop rotation on the land I hunt. You just have to see how the deer pattern for a few years before you figure it out. In my spot I know how the deer will move if one field is corn and the other is beans or vice versa.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

damn frosty. i feel like an idiot. what an obvious and valid reason. dont know why i never thought of that. learn somethin new everyday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.