Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New hunter here

Old 08-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Spike

Red face New hunter here

Hello guys im new to the forum and pretty new to hunting. I live around Albany NY and have a camp on Tug Hill NY where i am most weekends. My dad has always hunted deer and it something he really enjoys. He mostly bow hunts and i have been in the woods a few times when i was little and was never interested because of no action when i was younger. I always liked shooting guns though and when i was 12 and could take my hunters safety course i did it. I havnt really hunted much since i have been out hunting turkey a few times with no luck but now im 14 and i can finally hunt deer. Im really interested in deer hunting and i cannot wait until this season to hunt. I am going to be hunting up at my camp where my dad hasnt had much luck but all the locals and big hunters who come here get lots of big bucks. It seems like the deer population is really high but once hunting season comes around they all disapeare. Do you guys have any tips on how to get my first deer or anything in general?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Spike

Thumbs up New too

Originally Posted by tughillboy
Hello guys im new to the forum and pretty new to hunting. I live around Albany NY and have a camp on Tug Hill NY where i am most weekends. My dad has always hunted deer and it something he really enjoys. He mostly bow hunts and i have been in the woods a few times when i was little and was never interested because of no action when i was younger. I always liked shooting guns though and when i was 12 and could take my hunters safety course i did it. I havnt really hunted much since i have been out hunting turkey a few times with no luck but now im 14 and i can finally hunt deer. Im really interested in deer hunting and i cannot wait until this season to hunt. I am going to be hunting up at my camp where my dad hasnt had much luck but all the locals and big hunters who come here get lots of big bucks. It seems like the deer population is really high but once hunting season comes around they all disapeare. Do you guys have any tips on how to get my first deer or anything in general?
Hi! Like you, I'm new to the forum (great forum, by the way) and it's been so many years I don't hunt, I'd better consider myself as new to hunting. I'm from S FL and I used to hunt some years ago on a friend's property.My friend moved up north and I'm having problems trying to locate a FL hunters club and some sort of hunt that's not going to cost me $4 -$5 G. My advice is to start your experience buddying with family members or friends who have some experience. I believe you, deer are a very wary type of being, they got a very developed 6th sense. All that makes it difficult yet fun to hunt.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

I'm glad to hear you are taking an interest in the wild outdoors! There is no better time to be had. Just being in deer camp with your dad can really help you to learn and refine your hunting skills. Watch, listen and learn all you can.You will pick up things on your own as well. The most important thing is to put in the time in the field. Try to learn all you can about the deer you are hunting, mainly their habits. I wish you much success and congrats on hunting deer your first year.
Live it up! Doug
Old 08-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

gotta agree!! you both cme to the right place to learn..............enjoy yourselves ............
Old 08-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

enjoy and good luck
Old 08-21-2010, 10:23 AM
bwd
Spike

Welcome to both of you!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:33 AM
Spike

Hey TugHillBoy.. it is always great to see a young man taking up the Hunt.
If you want to harvest your first deer, I would say you should think of your personal requirements. Will you be OK harvesting a Doe? or a 3 point young buck. never let peer pressure have you thinking you must shoot a 10 point 6 year old buck first. 10000's of hunters ever see a big buck and few ever harvest one. I have 38 years in the dear woods of NY and have shot quite a lot of NICE bucks.. yet only a few record book bucks. I have taken many does as well. I love bow hunting and still use rifle, shotgun and handgun.
Start spending time NOW in the woods you can hunt in. Look for deer sign, poop, hoof prints, old rubs. Find the area with the most sign and sit around in that area.. listen and look for deer. You can learn so much when you are not HUNTING them.
Go to my web site and others .. read a lot. http://www.OutDoorSupplyPlace.com
Let me know if you have specific questions.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

hey, im 15, i live in Central Square, not too far from tug hill, this my second season hunting deer. unfortunately i had a shot at a 6pt but froze and didnt take it during bow season i feel your pain my friend down the road had a 10pt running his property. my advice is put your time in the woods cant shoot deer while on the couch
Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum! I'm a new hunter also one season of Deer and one of Turkey so far. My Nephew gave me some good knowledge to enter the woods with my first hunt that helped me have a good first season last year for deer.A.) Learn quickly what you can about the Whitetail and it's habitat,the Forum can help here as well as all the free info on the internet.B.) Know your hunting area well,Water,Food,Beding Area's etc.C.) Good equipment and the skill to use it. I got a good used Bow,good arrows,broadhaeds,range finder. I spent more time with my Bow than with my wife until the season started and hit my first Buck in the heart.I missed my second Deer my Doe because I did not practice shooting from a tree stand.Close only counts in horse shoes. Play the wind and keep your sent in check to the best of your ability but remember the wind is your friend or enemy it depends on you. Most of all be safe have a good time and enjoy the whole expierence and if you don't get a deer you will have had a great time. Get close to good hunters who know their stuff and be teachable at all times. We all get busted,we all miss and we all are still learning a true Hunter is always learning. I also got my first Turkey with all the help I find on the site and listening to those who have a lot of expierence. Good Hunting This Season! Tally Ho!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Spike

Good Luck, and enjoy!! You will learn alot on this fourm, Long time viewer here, but I just started posting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.