Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Turkey are eating all the Corn >

Turkey are eating all the Corn

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Turkey are eating all the Corn

Old 08-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Spike

Default Turkey are eating all the Corn

I have a feeder to feed the deer and I have all kinds of turkey's eating up all more corn before the deer get to the feeder. Any idea's on how to feed both?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

What time of the day do you have the feeders going off? Try setting them when it's just getting light enough to see in the morning and in the evening when most of the turkeys have gone to roost. Maybe the deer will feed a little before the turkeys hit the feeder in the morning. Either that, or just get those turkeys good and fat for next Spring.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default Uh, ya

Originally Posted by 4looking View Post
I have a feeder to feed the deer and I have all kinds of turkey's eating up all more corn before the deer get to the feeder. Any idea's on how to feed both?
shoot the Turkey during the legal season of course.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Set it to go off just before dark or put out more corn.. Could be worse, could be dang hogs...
Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by tight360 View Post
shoot the Turkey during the legal season of course.
man you beat me to it. lol!
Old 08-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the help...I have the feeder going off twice a day at 7am and 7pm. I'm going to put out some minerals.."Buck Jam Apple".. for the deer. These birds are getting real BIG! Looks like I'll be turkey hunting instead of deer hunting.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

i assume you have them on trail cam, slip in there right before they get there and be really quiet, as if you were hunting, then when they come in start screaming and clapping, then they will stay out of there for a few weeks probably.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

I'm betting the deer are eating something they like better than your corn. If the deer were hungry, they would be around the feeder as they can smell the corn. Just wait until it gets cooler when most of the browse starts dying, and you will see deer around the feeder.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Seen this same "problem", its not the worst problem in the world to have but I see your point. Set the feeder earlier, it's ok if it goes off before 7am, deer are up that early set it for 6 or 6:30, they will be there.
I feed less in the evenings anyway but thats just my own personal method. Also, turkeys will "spook" when they see movement and wont come back to that area but deer will, usually. So, if you have to go out there and scare them off of the feeder, it isnt the worst thing in the world to do....also.......slingshot...just sayin'.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Spike

Default Try apples

From what i've seen the turkeys avoid apples and molassas however, I would still leave out some corn as if to "pay off" the turkeys. or you could always shoot to away the turkeys, it works during hunting season!