Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Loading that big boy into the back of your truck >

Loading that big boy into the back of your truck

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Loading that big boy into the back of your truck

Old 08-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's easy to do alone. Just tie a short rope on his antlers then stand on your tailgate,pull the antlers up and grab them and walk backwards and pull the deer in. I am by no means a strong guy and I weigh 165#. I load deer that weigh over 200# this way with very little effort. If you can get the deer up on a hump and back up to it it is even easier.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
This will help a bunch. Keep a shovel with you, if you kill a big deer, back up close to it, then pull forward 10 or so feet. Take your shovel and dig a 10 or so inch deer trench 3 or so feet long where both back tires were. Pull the deer in the truck and pull out. That 8 or 10 inches of depth makes a lot of difference.
good luck diggin into frozen ground! by the time you dig that you wont have enough energy to finish loading the deer. nice thinkin tho
Old 08-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

How about a pick and a shovel? I havn't seen the ground frozen like that around here.....
Old 08-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

any more redneck ideas! jk. lol! there's some good i'de'ers....
Old 08-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Spike

Default ... A Jet Sled

A buddy of mine got me started using a Jet Sled... used for ice fishing... you just slide your deer into the Jet Sled, slides great on leaves and snow, pick up the front end of the sled and rest it on the tailgate, then pick up the back end and slide it into the truck bed.

One man can load a BIG deer and slide it into the truck with ease.

Plus you don't need to hose out the truck bed as all the blood stays in the sled.

Mine is camo, so I use it for hauling duck and goose decoys, and storing gear.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for your ideas everyone. I like the extra-thick plywood idea the best! It cheap and doesn't take up much room in the bed of the truck.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

Let me see if this works. I drew a crappy pic on the arts program. But I usually take a buck and with a good rope tie his antlers together with the hind legs. squat down so you are on the side with the feet, shoulder the rope and lift. Be next to the tailgate. With the deer at hip level, put him on the tailgate and then slide him into the bed. I haven't been lucky enough to try this with a 200# but I did do a 150# last year and it worked great. with a doe, same thing just tie rope around her head.
Attached Thumbnails Loading that big boy into the back of your truck-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by WNYhunter; 08-22-2010 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default loading deer yourself

strap the deer to a ladder, prop one end onto the tailgate, then lift and slide the deer in.

or

I had a game cart similar to the looks of the cabelas super mag hauler, and modified it. I made sure the wheels were easy to remove, and also modified it so it could be locked in a flat position, then loaded it like the ladder, in the example above.

or, you might look into the gutless method, and quarter your deer in the field. there are a few dvds you can buy, or I found this video to give you a general idea:
http://elk101.com/webisodes/gutless-video/
Old 08-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by wildchild04
strap the deer to a ladder, prop one end onto the tailgate, then lift and slide the deer in.

or

I had a game cart similar to the looks of the cabelas super mag hauler, and modified it. I made sure the wheels were easy to remove, and also modified it so it could be locked in a flat position, then loaded it like the ladder, in the example above.

or, you might look into the gutless method, and quarter your deer in the field. there are a few dvds you can buy, or I found this video to give you a general idea:
http://elk101.com/webisodes/gutless-video/

i'm pretty sure some states won't allow quartering out a deer before checking it in. i personally never would regardless if it was allowed or not. that was a neat video though!

oh and i like the plywood and ladder ideas. they sound quick, easy, and a cheap way to do it. thx......

Last edited by noidurism; 08-22-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 121553
I carry a sheet of plywood in the back of my truck for one of those reasons. Makes a great picnic table too and takes up no room. I've also used it in getting a cow elk in the back of my truck by myself.

Bobby
Plywood. Put one end on the ground, one end on your tailgate and drag the deer up on it. Then pick the ground end up and slide in the back of the truck. Much less work than horsing a dead deer up by hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.