HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Success In 2010 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/327617-success-2010-a.html)

doetrain 08-13-2010 10:19 AM

Success In 2010

What have you done to improve yourself as a hunter this year and thus better your chances of hunting success this season? My answer to this question is A.)Knowing more about the Whitetail than I did last year.B.)Knowing and using my Bow & Muzzle Loader more effectively than last year.C.)Knowing my hunting area better as well.

berettaguy17 08-13-2010 10:28 AM

i would have to say i have learned more about whitetail and i have patterned the area i hunt more and have set up better stands than i have in the past.

StealthHtr22 08-13-2010 11:26 AM

I put my new trail cam out for the first time. First year I've ever had one. This will be a huge help scouting. There is a lot of corn out this year so it makes it difficult to glass the fields.

JNM86WVU 08-13-2010 11:40 AM

I have learned more about whitetail as a species.. Got my bow a total makeover and have become more proficient with it, and my rifle as well.. Continued scouting and the use of trail cameras to be able to better understand my deer herd and their movements.. Maintained my current food plots and mineral licks, and am going to put in a fall food plot this weekend..

Chuck7 08-13-2010 04:34 PM

A. Bought a nice bow..been shooting alot.

B. MUST get my climber higher...

C. Moved to a better WMA

Sniggle 08-14-2010 05:04 AM

1. Bought a new bow
2. Went from shooting my bow one eyed to both eyes open.
3. Improved the stand sites in my 3 acre funnel

IL-Cornfed 08-14-2010 08:15 AM

I'm constantly refining my equipment and tactics as well as devoting a ton of hours into habitat improvement projects on my property. It's a year 'round addiction and a labor of love. I also practice all year long with my archery equipment and generally make it to atleast 1 3D shoot every weekend. I also make it a point to practice with the Muzzleloader several times a years as well. I'm soooo ready for Oct 1 to get here!!!

GregH 08-14-2010 11:38 PM

I haven't done too much more for this year than any other year because I can't get much better than I am right now.

Jimmy S 08-15-2010 06:31 AM

I will continue my strategy I changes a few years back. One of my biggest faults as a hunter is I sometimes overhunt a stand. Places that I have seee/shot deer in past years. I can be very stubborn and convince myself that the longer I stay in one place the better my chances will be.

That is not always the case. A hunter has to hunt where the deer are. This sounds so simple but changing locations can play a big part to increase your odds. Even moving a few hundred yard can make a hugh difference, especially when hunting big woods with no farmcrop, fields, etc. Since I did that, and yes at first it was difficult, I have been into more deer than usual. This is especially true if you hunt places with low deer numbers.

doetrain 08-16-2010 05:47 AM

I agree Jimmy S, This is something I have been encouraged not to do because it is temping to keep going back to an area where you have seen Deer out of a fear that if you move you will miss them coming through. I spent several hours preparing a spot that has a lot of sign in it this past weekend where I hope to open up my season this year it is a new spot for me. This is a good point you brought up,thanks