HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Hunting over Bait (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/327551-hunting-over-bait.html)

BigBuck95 08-12-2010 09:43 AM

Hunting over Bait

What is your opinion on hunting over bait. By Bait I mean a pile of corn/other feed that has been intentionally placed there for deer to come in so that the hunter(s) can shoot it. Personally, I don't care if it is legal in your state or not, It is still "cheating." And YES, IT IS DIFFERENT THAN HUNTING NEAR A FARMERS FIELD. That farmer did not put that crop there for hunters to take deer, he needs that crop to make a living. Im on the fence about food plots too. I suppose they're ok........:hit:

doetrain 08-12-2010 10:24 AM

It's not legal in Indiana to take anything into the hunting area to bait them with, but if it was legal I prefer not to do it because I like the challenge of hunting without that particular aide. I find it very satisfying to outwit that wiley Deer in his environment giving him a fighting chance to beat me. If the corn/beans are there then thats out of my control and I'll hunt there with the help of a food source just like hunting a water hole they depend upon. I just think for me it is a greater challenge to not use atractants. My buddy put corn out for Turkey and sat in a blind waiting for the bird to come to the food. I hated it.I went out set my decoys and called my birds in,I loved that and did not need the bait to hunt them only talk their language.

Game Stalker 08-12-2010 10:56 AM

Nothing like another label,but here goes.As a hunter,I guess you could call me a purist.I don't use cover scents-but don't think its wrong to do so.Just me personally,I want to keep the hunt as even as possible.My camo and weapon against the animals instincts.I do hunt food and water sources that occur naturally.

timbercruiser 08-12-2010 11:02 AM

It appears that you think it should be illegal to use food plots specifically planted for deer, use sex attractants placed to attract deer, hunt with dogs, use mineral licks including deer cane to to attract deer, plant white oaks for future attracting deer, use deer grunts/calls, use camo as well as using agriculture fields. Also it would be an unfair advantage to use tree stands, shooting houses, scopes, rifles, bows, or any other man made advantage. You should just hide behind a tree and knock the deer in the head with a rock or something. You can't have it both ways.

OhioBowhunter 08-12-2010 11:25 AM

personally, i do use "bait" and i feel its perfectly fine because just because you put corn or whatever out doesnt automatically mean you are going to shoot a deer, yes you see alot of deer but if your like me and are looking for that big buck, he will either be in there at night or not in there at all 95% of the time. now comming from another perspective, i love going out with my little brothers or cousins and having them see deer and hopefully shoot a deer. as for the cheating part, i feel its cheating if you were to shoot whatever deer you see, but me or anyone i hunt with does that.

great thread.
Storm

Game Stalker 08-12-2010 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Then I would assume.....

You assume wrong.Don't read more into my post than what it says.
I like a more challenging hunt.If someone chooses to hunt differently it's their business.As long as it's legal,it don't matter.

Kybuckhunter 08-12-2010 01:36 PM

It never fails we get into these arguments every year. It can be crossbow, baiting, using dogs, shooting houses and so forth.....

Many guys will call all these things cheating but many of these same guys will buy high dollar scent suit to try "cheat" the deers nose. It also doesn't bother them to put up trail cams and "spy" on deer. I mean how much of an advantage is this. You can spy on him and tell when he comes out or if that stand is the right one you should hunt based on your camera activity. If anything should be considered taking advantage its the trail cams......So if you condemn someone for baiting wouldnt be hypicrital to use a camera ?

I have used corn to bait to a small degree but its a lot of work and expense. It's not a must but it can help move a deer in on the small piece of property I hunt. I can take it or leave it however.

Now with that being said, everyone needs to decide what is best for themselves without judgement from their fellow hunters. Not everyone wants the same challenge or same experience. Its about making memories and filling the freezer....have fun.

BigDaddy12t 08-12-2010 01:40 PM

Its not legal here in Minnesota, so I dont do it, but if it was legal, you can bet that I would be the first to do it.

nchawkeye 08-12-2010 01:48 PM

Seems those that can't and never have always know more than those that can and do... :)

I don't concern myself with what others are doing, just take care of me and mine...:biggrin:

Bfree 08-12-2010 02:02 PM

Here in Louisiana it is legal, and I do hunt w/corn and use whatever else I can thats legal. The woods here are so thick w/underbrush in most cases you cant see more than 50 yds unless you have a pipe line or a highline to hunt on. Not alot of open shots. With that being said in order to keep deer in my area I use feeders and will also put corn out on the trails to try and keep the deer close to my lease and using the trails.